September 21, 2005
CONTACT: Carol Anderson
Campus activities, oozeball, art exhibits, concerts highlight EMU Homecoming Week, Sept. 25-Oct. 1
YPSILANTI - Two comedians, a rap artist, oozeball and poker tournaments, and a watercolor exhibit will be a few of the events headlining Eastern Michigan University’s Homecoming Week activities, Sept. 25-Oct. 1.
The weeklong celebration culminates with the EMU Eagles battling Kent State University’s Golden Flashes, Saturday, Oct. 1, 2 p.m. at Rynearson Stadium.
“We look forward to Homecoming each year because it gives us the perfect opportunity to welcome our alumni back to campus,” said Vicki Reaume, executive director of alumni relations. “We have a fantastic homecoming planning committee this year and they have worked extremely hard to put together a great slate of activities for students, alumni and the entire campus community.”
EMU Homecoming highlights include:
Eighth Annual Oozeball Mud Volleyball Tournament
- It’s now a tradition to get slimed. The muddy mess is Sunday, Sept. 25, 1 p.m. at Hoyt Field. Teams are assembling now. There will be a disc jockey, king and queen candidates, food and giveaways. For information, call 734.487.1338.
Chuck D on “Race, Rap and Reality”
- Chuck D, leader and co-founder of the rap group Public Enemy, redefined rap music and hip hop culture. He will discuss “Race, Rap and Reality” Monday, Sept. 26, 8 p.m. in Pease Auditorium. Tickets are $5 and $10 for students and $15 and $30 for the public. For tickets, call 734.487.2282.
Watercolor and Recursions
- “The Michigan Water Color Society 58th Annual Exhibition” and “Recursions: Material Expression of Zeros and Ones,” will be on display at the Ford Art Gallery. Hours are Monday and Thursday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.; Tuesday and Wednesday, 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.; and Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
No Limit Texas Hold ’Em Poker Tournament
- All skill levels are welcome. Play begins Tuesday, Sept. 27, 7:30 p.m. at the Olds-Robb Student Recreation/ Intramural Complex, second floor. Entry fee is $25. Advance tickets are $20. Call 734.487.1338.
- Enjoy the movie “Sin City” free, Wednesday, Sept. 28, 9 p.m. McKenny Union Ballroom.
Class of 1955 Golden Years Reunion
- “Honoring the Class of 1955” reunion is Friday, Sept. 30, noon-2 p.m. at McKenny Union Ballroom. For details, call 734.481.2307.
Comedian Dave Chappelle
- Stand-up comedian Dave Chappelle, who has hosted a series on Comedy Central and starred in several movies, will perform at the Convocation Center, Friday, Sept. 30, 8 p.m. For information, call, 734.487.2282.
FALLaPALOOZA in Depot Town
- FALLaPALLOOZA in Ypsilanti’s historic Depot Town hooks up with EMU to celebrate homecoming. There’s fun for the entire family Saturday, Oct. 1, in Depot Town with activities such as a street fair, farmer’s market, hayrides and wine-tasting. Many area stores will extend their hours of operation.
Comedian Lily Tomlin
- Detroit native Lily Tomlin, versatile actress and comedian, appears Saturday, Oct. 1, 8 p.m. at Pease Auditorium, Call 734.487.2282 for tickets.
Parade of Nations
- More than 90 flags from EMU student home countries will make up the Parade of Nations just before the football game Saturday, Oct. 1, 1:45 p.m. at Rynearson Stadium.
For a complete listing of the Homecoming 2005 events, visit ww.emich.edu/homecoming or call alumni relations, 734.487.0250.
Eastern Michigan University is a public, comprehensive university that offers programs in the arts, sciences and professions. EMU prepares students with the intellectual skills and practical experiences to succeed in their careers and lives, and to be better citizens.
Eastern Michigan University is a public, comprehensive
university that offers programs in the arts, sciences and professions.
EMU prepares students with the intellectual skills and practical experiences
to succeed in their career and lives, and to be better citizens.
Editor's Note: Looking for an expert source for a story? Check out
EMU's Eastern Experts online at www.emich.edu/univcomm/easternexperts.
EMU Home | University Communications Home