Eastern Michigan University Weather Policy
If severe weather threatens Eastern Michigan University, EMU's president, in consultation with the Department of Public Safety and the Physical Plant, will decide if the University will open or will remain open. Eastern Michigan is committed to fulfilling its instructional obligations, so it is EMU's intent to conduct classes as long as it can maintain reasonable conditions on campus, and the roads in the immediate areas are reasonably passable.
Eastern Michigan's Department of Public Safety and the Physical Plant monitor conditions during a weather alert. The departments are in contact with the Washtenaw Emergency Council. The University takes into account the condition of campus parking lots and roads; the availability of uninterrupted electrical service; the condition of state and local roads as indicated by road and storm advisories; weather forecasts; ice, wind and severe cold temperatures.
Closure decision times:
- The decision to remain open or to cancel morning classes (those starting before 12:30 p.m.) will be made before 6 a.m., (if timing for the decision permits), in order to provide sufficient time to notify the media and the University community.
- The decision to remain open or to cancel afternoon classes (12:30 p.m. – 5 p.m.) will be made before 9:30 a.m.
- The decision to remain open or to cancel evening classes (those starting at 5 p.m. or later) will be made before 3 p.m. (if timing for the decision permits).
After a decision is made to close the University, the Division of Communications is immediately notified. The Division of Communications will:
- Send an emergency text message to those who have registered for emergency text alert updates*
- Send an all-University e-mail message to EMU students and employees
- Send notice via EMU's official social media channels on Facebook and Twitter (@EMUNews; @emu_swoop)
- Notify the EMU switchboard (734.487.1849)
- Notify WEMU 89.1 FM and other local media
- Post on the EMU home page ( www.emich.edu), my.emich announcements page, and the closures page
- Post on campus digital signs
FINDING CLOSURE INFORMATION:
Information regarding any closings will be carried on the switchboard (734.487.1849); WEMU (89.1 FM); WJR (760 AM); WWJ (950 AM) WAAM (1600 AM), and our official EMU closures web site, as well as other radio and television stations.
*To sign up for emergency text alerts, go to www.emich.edu/alerts/. Alerts will provide real-time information as a text message to your cell phone in the event of an emergency. You will also receive the same text in your e-mail inbox. The campus alerts service will be used only in the event of a campus emergency, campus closure, and for occasional testing of the system.