Eastern Michigan University
Class of 2016 Scholarships
As of February 8, 2016
Powered By: JustFundraising.com
Eastern Michigan University
201 Boone Hall
Ypsilanti, MI 48197
Upward Bound employs a diverse staff to provide educational support and guidance and assist in enriching the lives of participants.
Academic School-Year Positions
EMU college students provide tutoring assistance during the school year at the daily College Club sessions after school. College Club sessions take place at Ypsilanti Community High School from Monday through Thursday. Tutors must be available from 2:45pm-5:00pm. Assistance is needed on any of the four days. Consistent attendance to tutoring sessions is expected. Preference is given to EMU students who have been awarded College Work/Study as part of their financial aid award. Download the position description for more information and apply today!
A limited number of college students are employed each summer to assist with administrative/office responsibilities of the Summer Academy. Preference is given to EMU students who have been awarded College Work/Study as part of their financial aid award.
Summer Academy Positions
HIRING IS CLOSED AND WILL REOPEN IN MARCH 2016
Summer Peer Advisors
The Upward Bound Peer Advisor staff lives in EMU Residence Halls with local high school student participants who desire to go to college. Peer Advisors have the rewarding experience of working closely with students as a mentor to enhance their preparation both within and outside of the classroom. Applicants must meet the following criteria:
• Currently enrolled student (Junior class standing or above preferred)
• Minimum 2.5 GPA
• Experience living in a residence hall
• Experience and comfort with culturally diverse high school populations
• Demonstrated skills in leadership, good judgment, communication, and positive role modeling
• Commitment to helping students succeed in higher education
• Willingness to work a summer camp schedule that includes travel, evenings & weekends
• Applicants are subject to a reference and background check
Peer Advisors are required to live on campus with participants during the Summer Academy. They provide mentoring, academic assistance and guidance to participants, serve as teaching assistants to the teachers, assist in the planning and implementation of extra-curricular activities; supervise participants in a residential setting; and chaperone on field trips. Download the position description for a complete explanation of the role.
To apply for this position, you can download an application by clicking here [PDF]. Please complete and submit to the Upward Bound Office in 201 Boone Hall with your resume, cover letter, and most recent academic transcript.
Summer Academy Tutors
The Upward Bound Summer Academy Tutor provides academic assistance to small groups of high school students during the program’s Summer Academy. Tutors sit-in on the students classes in the morning and then provide tutoring to students in the afternoon. Subjects for tutoring include high school:
- Science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics)
- English (research writing)
- Math (Algebra I & II, Geometry, Pre-Calculus, Calculus, Statistics & Probability)
Tutors must be available from 8am-12pm and from 1pm- 3pm, Monday-Thursday for a total of 20-24 hours a week. There are no afternoon study tables on Wednesdays (1pm-3pm). Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be an undergraduate student at Eastern Michigan University
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of a 2.8
- Be in good standing with EMU
- Students who have work-study awards are strongly preferred.
Summer Academy Teachers
Certified teachers are employed during the six-week Summer Academy to teach the following courses:
· Science: Biology, Chemistry, Physics
· Math: Algebra I & II, Geometry, Pre-Calculus
· Language Arts: English Composition & Literature, Poetry
· Foreign Language: Spanish I & II, French I & II
Jumpstart Program Coordinator
Jumpstart is a week-long day-camp style program meant to help new 9th graders successfully transition into the Upward Bound program in the fall. Coordinators would work with approximately 15 local college-bound 9th grader students in a classroom setting. The coordinators would be directly responsible for facilitating a pre-designed high-school & college-prep curriculum. Download the Jumpstart Coordinator position description for more information about this role.
To apply for this position, you can download an application. Please complete and submit to the Upward Bound Office in 201 Boone Hall with your resume, cover letter, and most recent academic transcript.
People with expertise in particular areas are encouraged to consider volunteering during the Summer Academy to facilitate workshops for our students on a variety of interesting topics. Workshops are held in the afternoons, for three to four days. Some past topics have included:
- Character/Personal Development
- Career Exploration
- Community Service
- Job Shadowing
To inquire about presenting a workshop during the Summer Academy, please contact our office at 734-487-0488