Eastern Michigan University
Eastern Michigan University
201 Boone Hall
Ypsilanti, MI 48197
Employment/Volunteering at Upward Bound
Upward Bound employs a diverse staff to provide educational support and guidance and assist in enriching the lives of participants.
Academic School-Year Positions
EMU College students to provide tutoring assistance during the school year at the daily College Club sessions after school. College Club sessions take place at Ypsilanti Community High School from Monday through Thursday. Tutors must be available from 3:00pm-5:00pm. Assistance is needed on any of the four days. Consistent attendance to tutoring sessions is expected.
A limited number of college students are employed each summer to assist with administrative/office responsibilities of the Summer Academy. Preference is given to EMU students who have been awarded College Work/Study as part of their financial aid award.
Summer Academy Positions
Summer Peer Advisors
The Upward Bound program at EMU is seeking impressive applicants to serve as Peer Advisors for the 2014 Upward Bound Summer Academy.
The Upward Bound Peer Advisor staff lives in EMU Residence Halls with local high school student participants who desire to go to college. Peer Advisors have the rewarding experience of working closely with students as a mentor to enhance their preparation both within and outside of the classroom. Applicants must meet the following criteria:
• Currently enrolled student (Junior class standing or above preferred)
• Minimum 2.5 GPA
• Experience living in a residence hall
• Experience and comfort with culturally diverse high school populations
• Demonstrated skills in leadership, good judgment, communication, and positive role modeling
• Commitment to helping students succeed in higher education
• Willingness to work a summer camp schedule that includes travel, evenings & weekends
• Applicants are subject to a reference and background check
Peer Advisors are required to live on campus with participants during the Summer Academy. They provide mentoring, academic assistance and guidance to participants, serve as teaching assistants to the teachers, assist in the planning and implementation of extra-curricular activities; supervise participants in a residential setting; and chaperone on field trips.
To apply for this position, you can download an application by clicking here [PDF]. Please complete and submit to the Upward Bound Office with your most recent academic transcript.
Summer Academy Teachers
Certified teachers are employed during the six-week Summer Academy to teach the following courses:
· Science: Biology, Chemistry, Physics
· Math: Algebra I & II, Geometry, Pre-Calculus
· Language Arts: English Composition & Literature, Poetry
· Foreign Language: Spanish I & II, French I & II
Instruction begins on Monday, June 23, 2014 and ends on Thursday, July 24th.
To inquire about a teaching position, please call the Upward Bound Office or email Mark Jackson at email@example.com
People with expertise in particular areas are encouraged to consider volunteering during the Summer Academy to facilitate workshops for our students on a variety of interesting topics. Workshops are held in the afternoons, for three to four days. Some past topics have included:
- Character/Personal Development
- Career Exploration
- Community Service
- Job Shadowing
To inquire about presenting a workshop during the Summer Academy, please email firstname.lastname@example.org