Interested in joining our team for 2012-13? Fill out an application here.
Please note that the application is administered as a Survey Monkey survey and that all of your data will be available to the staff of VISION Volunteer Center only.
Eastern Michigan’s University’s America Reads mission is to provide a high-quality after-school tutorial program for local youth that promotes diverse learning experiences with emphasis on literacy and math skills. EMU college-student involvement is promoted through mentoring and service to the community. This is achieved by providing local schools and community sites with trained college-student reading and math tutors, and enlisting the support of local teachers, administrators, parents, EMU faculty and staff, community volunteers, and other organizations.
What is America Reads?
The purpose of America Reads is to improve the reading, writing and math performance of K-5 children through a tutoring/mentoring program at local schools and community sites. Work or volunteer with us as we enhance literacy and math skills using creative learning activities!
This is an opportunity for Eastern Michigan University students with College Work Study awards to make a difference in the lives of Ypsilanti area elementary school children by serving as reading tutors in local schools and community sites.
- Make a huge impact in the life of a child
- Competitive starting wage
- Flexible hours
- Fantastic networking opportunities
- Enjoy reading activities and games
- Great resume builder
- The opportunity to earn elective credit! (See Program Coordinator for details, certain restrictions apply)
Who can tutor?
Anyone can be a tutor! You need not have tutoring experience. America Reads provides on-going training and support throughout the tutoring year. Typical activities include reading with children and math skills development through homework help and skill building exercises.
- Be an EMU student enrolled for at least six credit hours
- Be eligible for College Work Study
- Maintain a GPA of at least 2.0
- Attend mandatory, paid training sessions
- Complete an application (Link can be found on the top of this page.)
- Be willing to dedicate yourself to an academic year of service
- Possess a strong desire to help young children succeed
Not eligible for College Work Study? Don't worry! Positions on a volunteer basis are also available. Complete the application on-line or stop by the VISION office.
Email us at vis_AmericaReads@emich.edu.