Tour > Virtual Tour > Boone Hall
Hall (When it was the
Administration Building (1917-50),
Arts Building (1950-62),
R. Clyde Ford Hall (1962-68),
Richard Gause Boone Hall (1968-present).
Date constructed: Built 1917. Dedicated
Architect: Smith, Hinchman,
& Grylls, Detroit
of Architecture: Early 20th Century
Neo-Classical. Emblematic of this style are
the brickwork, white terra cotta belt course
and the Doric columns, which mark the entrance.
Use: Administration and classroom
of renovation: Renovated 1999 after
College of Education moved to Porter
Use: Extended Learning Program, World
College/Academic Programs Abroad,Continuing
Education, National Institute for Consumer
Education, Workforce Education
Boone Hall, originally called the Administration
Building was constructed for $265,000 in 1917.
The Old Main Building had housed all administrative
functions almost since the school opened.
Now the college had outgrown the three-story
building and it required a separate building
for administrative functions. President McKenny
sited the new building on the land formerly
used by the conservatory, next door to the
Old Main Building. Pease Auditorium had recently
been completed in 1914 for the music department
so the conservatory’s land could be
put to another use.
building was designed to be a multipurpose
building. During the McKenny years the college
grew to national recognition and size. The
college had to build to suit a wide variety
of needs for space. The first floor housed
administrative offices and the Modern Language
Department. Upstairs, the drawing department
had classrooms and studios, some lighted by
the glass skylight on the north side of the
building (opposite from the street side).
In the basement, the Manual Training Department
held class and the YMCA also had space.
years, the Administration Building was the
administrative center for campus. In 1950,
following the construction of the new administration
Pierce Hall, Boone became the Arts Building.
For several decades, both as the Art Building
and as R. Clyde Ford Hall, the building contained
the Department of Art, the Department of Industrial
Education and Applied Arts, and University
Art Gallery. In 1968, the building was renamed
for Richard Gause Boone,
the ninth president of the Normal College
(1893-99). In 1992, the Art department moved
to Sherzer, and Boone became the home of Continuing
Education and other offices. Boone, like Welch
has been preserved as an important part of
the campus heritage. Careful adaptive reuse
strategies have made it a useful part of daily
life for many important offices on campus.
of Boone Hall (Click on the image for
a bigger view)