Historic Tour - Title
Eastern Michigan University EMU HOME
 
About EMUFuture StudentsCurrent StudentsAcademics & ResearchFaculty & StaffAlumni & FriendsAthletics & RecreationNews & Events
 
   

 

 

 



Home page





Eastern Michigan University
Ypsilanti, MI, USA 48197
University Information:
(734) 487-1849

 


Chronological Tour
Historic Tour > Chronological Tour > Bowen Field House

Bowen Field House

Date of Construction: 1955
Known Uses:
Bowen was the second field house built on Eastern’s campus.
In 1976 it had its first face-lift, intended to increase attendance at major events. In 1982 it received a 9,400 square foot addition and seating capacity was expanded to 4,800. In 1986, a two-story addition was built on the southwest corner. In the fall of 1998, the newly constructed Convocation Center took its place as the home of EMU’s basketball team. Today Bowen houses the Human Resources Offices and is still used as an exercise facility by students and faculty.

Bowen Field House

Bowen Field House was constructed concurrently with Goddard and Jones Residence Halls and Pine Grove Apartments during a period of great growth for the university

Bowen Field House

When it was built, Bowen was one of the largest in the country including not only basketball, track, and baseball practice areas, but also facilities for outdoor activities like tennis and badminton

Bowen Field House

Bowen Field House saw 351 wins in its 43 years as the home of Eastern’s basketball team