Historic Tour - Title Banner
Eastern Michigan University EMU HOME
 
About EMUFuture StudentsCurrent StudentsAcademics & ResearchFaculty & StaffAlumni & FriendsAthletics & RecreationNews & Events
 
   

 

 

 



Home page





Eastern Michigan University
Ypsilanti, MI, USA 48197
University Information:
(734) 487-1849

 


Virtual Tour
Historic Tour > Virtual Tour > Briggs Hall

Briggs Hall

Historic Name(s): Walter O. Briggs Field House (1937-56)

Briggs Hall

Briggs Hall

Date constructed: October 1, 1937

Architect: Giffels & Vallet of Detroit

Style of Architecture: Moderne/International

Original Use: Field house

Dates of renovation: 1956-60: became classroom space. In 1989, it was remodeled to house 3-D art studios.

Current Use: Art Studio and classrooms

History: Everyone agreed that the old gymnasium was much too small and that the strong physical education program, which had been holding classes since 1903, needed new quarters. President Munson placed it on his list of buildings to be built. The nation still struggled in the depths of the Depression and funding from Lansing remained painfully tight. Munson turned to his personal friend and Ypsilanti native, Walter O. Briggs, Sr. for funding. Briggs was the perfect choice. As owner of the Detroit “Tigers”, he was deeply interested in physical education.

Briggs Hall

Briggs Hall - Entrance

The new Field House faced the back of McKenny Union, placing it at the heart of the social center of campus. Inside, Briggs Field House contained lockers, showers, training rooms, and offices of officials. It also included a “large practice room with a dirt floor to be used for vaulting and other winter activities.”

From its location at the heart of campus, Briggs Field House acted as a gateway to Briggs Field beyond. Here builders constructed a football stand and a baseball stand with seating for 300 spectators. Today, Mark Jefferson Hall, Strong Hall, and the parking lot cover the athletic park.

As the physical education program continued to grow, and the school needing more space for other classroom buildings, the school created a new athletic complex beginning with Bowen Field House (see Bowen Field House). Briggs Hall was redeveloped for classroom space for the Department of Mathematics. Further changes in 1989 updated the building for use by the Art Department. The improvements provided better space for 3-D art workshops for woodworking, metal, plastics, and jewelry.

Location - Brigg Hall

 


Location of Briggs Hall (Click on the image for a bigger view)