Tour > Virtual Tour > Ford Hall
Hall (Before 1980)
Name(s): Library (1930-62).
Mark Jefferson Library (1962-67).
Richard Clyde Ford Hall (1967-present)
Constructed: Built 1930.
Bowd and Munson, Architects, Lansing, Michigan
of Architecture: Colonial Revival
with Classical influence
Use: University Library
Hall Interior (When it was a Library)
of Renovation: 1967 & 1980. In
1980, remodeled to provide office and classroom
space for the Television Center and Foreign
Languages and Bilingual Studies Departments.
September 1980: A fire in Studio A caused
Current Use: Art Department
office space, classrooms, and galleries
Ford Hall opened as the first college library.
Normal had grown considerably since its founding.
The small collection of books housed in one
room of the Old Main Building no longer served
the needs of the college community. President
Charles McKenny (1912-33) headed the college
at the time and recognized the profound need
for a larger library. Under his guidance over
the last 18 years, the school had become the
largest teacher training program in the United
States. A one-room library was no longer sufficient.
simply called the Library, it was later renamed
Mark Jefferson Library in honor of the head
of the Geography Department from 1901-39.
In 1967, when the second library (now Porter
College of Education) opened, it became a
classroom building. On May 17, 1967, it was
rededicated as Richard Clyde Ford Hall. Ford
had been head of the Modern Language Department
from 1903-40. In addition to his academic
duties, Ford wrote articles for magazines,
edited French and German school texts, wrote
young peoples’ histories of Michigan
and of the northwest, and was a popular speaker
and lecturer. He was an authority on the life
and culture of Native Americans. The rededication
took place on the 90th anniversary of Ford’s
Hall (Interior being Remodeled)
has been remodeled several times over the
years. In 1980, builders added private office
and classrooms space for the Television Center
and Foreign Languages and Bilingual Studies
Departments. In September of the same year
a fire broke out ($4,000 damage) in one of
the film studios. Two engineers working the
area acted quickly by partially extinguishing
flames that engulfed a studio curtain used
as a backdrop in the making of films.
has been renovated twice since 1982. It has
provided office and classroom space, and art
galleries for the Art Department. The Department
of Communications and Theater Arts also holds
most of its production classes in this building
to utilize two television studios on the lower
of Ford Hall (Click on the image for
a bigger view)