Historic Tour - Title Banner
Eastern Michigan University EMU HOME
 
About EMUFuture StudentsCurrent StudentsAcademics & ResearchFaculty & StaffAlumni & FriendsAthletics & RecreationNews & Events
 
   

 

 

 



Home page





Eastern Michigan University
Ypsilanti, MI, USA 48197
University Information:
(734) 487-1849

 


Virtual Tour
Historic Tour > Virtual Tour > Pond and LakeHouse

Pond and Lake House

Historical Name(s): Pond and LakeHouse

Lake House

A view of the Pond and LakeHouse
Lake House - 1998

LakeHouse in the Summer

Date constructed: Completed October 1992. Officially opened in January 1993

Architect: M. C. Smith & Associates Architectural Group, Inc. East Grand Rapids, MI.

Style of Architecture: Post Modern

Original Use: Outdoor recreation

Dates of renovation: None

Current Use: Outdoor recreation

History: The pond and LakeHouse were constructed as part of an 11-acre $1.5 million project to create an outdoor recreation area connected to the Olds-Robb center. The man-made pond is six feet deep at its deepest point, and intended for year-round enjoyment. In the winter, the pond was designed to be used as an outdoor ice skating rink.

The Lake House provides refreshments and a place to relax. The outdoor complex, of which the pond and LakeHouse are a part, also includes volleyball courts, running trails, and a picnic area with horseshoe pits. The project also featured an 800-seat amphitheater. Based on student requests for a safe outdoor area for jogging at night, the designers lighted the one-mile long jogging trail. Day or weekend rentals of backpacks, camping equipment, and canoes are available at the Outdoor Recreational Center.

Location - Pond and Lake House

 


Location of Pond and LakeHouse (Click on the image for a bigger view)