Historic Tour - Title Banner
Eastern Michigan University EMU HOME
 
About EMUFuture StudentsCurrent StudentsAcademics & ResearchFaculty & StaffAlumni & FriendsAthletics & RecreationNews & Events
 
   

 

 

 



Home page





Eastern Michigan University
Ypsilanti, MI, USA 48197
University Information:
(734) 487-1849

 


Virtual Tour
Historic Tour > Virtual Tour > Mark Jefferson Science Building

Mark Jefferson Science Building

Mark Jefferson Science Building - earlier
Mark Jefferson Science Building - present

Mark Jefferson Building
(earlier)


Mark Jefferson Building
(present)


Historic Name(s): Mark Jefferson Science Building

Date Constructed: Ground breaking late 1967. Dedicated October 24, 1969

Architect: Einhorn, Yaffee Prescott, P.C.

Style of Architecture: International

Original Use: Science building

Dates of Significant Renovation: 1996: Chemistry labs renovated along with structural repairs to the west side of the building (brick replacement). 2006: Elevators upgraded.

Current Use: Science building

History: EMU’s continued growth during the 1960s drove building projects under Presidents Elliott and Sponberg. In 1967, Sponberg arranged for the construction of a new science building. An appropriation from the state legislature provided the funds for the $8.25 million building. The new building contained 180,000 square feet of space divided among five stories plus a "penthouse" and basement. It was constructed of poured-in-place concrete with exterior walls of face brick with stone trim. Inside, Mark Jefferson was completely air-conditioned. The main floor contained four lecture halls and six large classrooms. Other floors had modern laboratories and other facilities for research as well as faculty offices, reading rooms, and on the third, a museum.

The building was named after Mark Jefferson, Geography Department head,

Mark Jefferson

Mark Jefferson
1901-39. Jefferson had received numerous distinguished awards for his work as an educator and geographer. In 1918-19, he was cartographer to the World War I peace commission in Paris that negotiated the Treaty of Versailles. A new state compulsory retirement law forced Jefferson to retire in 1939. He died in 1949.

When it was built, the Mark Jefferson Science Building was intended to provide space for crowded departments. Initially, the building would house the Departments of Chemistry, Biology and Psychology. As more new buildings were completed, the Psychology Department would move to new quarters, leaving space that the Biology and Chemistry departments could use as they grew.

Today, the roof of the building is home to a wireless communications antenna. It was built in 1997 by AT&T and is invisible from the ground.

Location - Mark Jefferson Science Building

 


Location of Mark Jefferson Building (Click on the image for a bigger view)