Tour > Chronological Tour > Buildings
that no longer exist
Buildings that no
of Construction:1852, burned in 1859, rebuilt in 1860
Date of Demolition:
Known Uses: All administration functions
(until Boone Hall was built), provided classroom
space and a library room (before Ford Hall
Location: In the courtyard between Boone and Pierce Hall.
original building was a brick structure three
stories high. The first floor provided a room
for the model school, one for the department
of Physics and Chemistry, a small reception
room and a library room. On the second floor
were several recitation rooms and the main
school room. One large room and a number of
smaller ones constituted the third floor.
original building, built in 1852
Information about the Old Main Building
Began in 1864; completed in 1870.
Date of Demolition: 1914
Known Uses: Normal Training School
(until 1872), and then occupied partly or
wholly by the Conservatory of Music.
Location: Where Boone Hall
second building to be erected on campus
was the Conservatory. It was originally
intended for the use of the State Agricultural
Society, and was to contain an agricultural
museum. Its erection was begun in 1864,
but it was not roofed until late fall,
1865. It remained uncompleted
until 1869, when the legislature appropriated
funds for its completion.
in January 1870, the Board of Education
accepted the building and changed its name
from the "Normal
Museum" to "Normal New School Building."
It was devoted to the use of the Training
School until 1882 and then was occupied
by the Conservatory of Music.
two original campus buildings. The Conservatory
at left stood where Boone Hall is now
Opened in 1894
Date of Demolition: 1965
Known Uses: Gymnasium
Location: Where the present
parking lot across from Welch Hall on Cross
Street is located.
School's first building for the "physical
structure" was built in 1862 near
the current site of the Ford Hall. The
wooden gymnasium, the first of its kind,
was destroyed by fire in 1873. It had
cost $1,200 to build.
next building for physical training stood
next to the Water Tower, and the entire
state legislature visited Ypsilanti in
1892 to make an inspection before donating
$20,000 for the building. Ypsilanti businesses
and citizens raised $1,800 to purchase
the land. The red brick building featured
two turrets and was divided completely
in half, with the north half reserved for
women and the south half for men as an addition.
gymansium was opened in 1894 and received
an addition in 1913. By 1961 it was in
poor condition, necessitating six weeks
of emergency repairs. No longer serviceable,
it was demolished in 1965.
old gymnasium was located across Cross
Street from Welch Hall, where a parking
lot now exists.
Date of Demolition: 1939
Known Uses: President's House
Location: Where King
Charles McKenny and his wife resided
in the Old Post Mansion. McKenny died in
office, leaving his widow without a home
of her own except the president's house
on campus. The new president Munson allowed
Mrs. McKenny to remain in the house for
the rest of her life, while he chose to
live in the Huron Hotel.
Mrs. McKenny's death in 1939, Munson decided
that the location of the president's house,
situated at the heart of campus, would
be better used for residence halls than
for a large presidential house. The Post
Mansion was demolished, and King and Goodison
Residence Halls were constructed in 1939.
Post Mansion, the president's residence
Date of Demolition: September 1998
Known Uses: Residence hall
for women, University offices
Location: Where the Marshall
Building now stands
Hall and its companion King Hall were
the first dormitories built on Eastern
campus. These two dormitories, constructed
as women’s housing, were designed
in the shape of two opposing “U’s”
enclosing a private courtyard for recreation,
similar to the one currently in the Munson-Brown
King Hall; background: Goodison
information about Goodison Hall
and Finance Building
Date of Demolition: February
Known Uses: It
served as the Health Center (1939-61) and
then as the Music Building (1961-84). From
1984-2003, the building housed payroll and
other important financial services for the
Location: Beside Pease Auditorium
facing Cross Street.
building was contructed at a cost of
$60,000 to serve as the health center
1961 the Health Building became the
Frederick Alexander Music Building.
In 1984 the name was changed to the
Business and Finance Building because
of confusion with the new Alexander
the Business & Finance department
moved to the newly-renovated Hover
Building, the Business and Finance
building was demolished in February
information about the Business & Finance