Historic Tour - Title
Eastern Michigan University EMU HOME
 
About EMUFuture StudentsCurrent StudentsAcademics & ResearchFaculty & StaffAlumni & FriendsAthletics & RecreationNews & Events
 
   

 

 

 



Home page





Eastern Michigan University
Ypsilanti, MI, USA 48197
University Information:
(734) 487-1849

 


Chronological Tour
Historic Tour > Chronological Tour > Sherzer Hall

Sherzer Hall

Date of Construction: 1903
Known Uses: Initially it housed the Natuaral Science Department. In 1957 the building was renovated and it became the new quarters for college field services. In 1992 EMU Art Department moved to Sherzer.

Sherzer Hall - earlier

A view of the Sherzer Hall from behind

Sherzer Hall burns

One of the most devastating events in the University history occurred on March 9th, 1989, when a massive fire gutted Sherzer Hall.

Aftereffects of the fire

After the fire, approximately 50% of the building remained intact. The Eastern Echo considered the fire so significant that the appointment of William Shelton as the president was relegated to an inside page.

Aftereffects of the fire

The building was restored for $5.3 million most of which was paid by the University's insurer.

Sherzer Hall

The building was opened only 19 months after the fire and was rededicated on October 27, 1990.

Sherzer Hall - present

Sherzer Hall - present