Tour > Virtual Tour > Warner Gymnasium
Name(s): Joseph E. Warner Gymnasium
view of the building
Constructed: Completed in 1964.
Dedicated on September 29, 1964.
Architect: Swanson Associates,
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
of Architecture: International
Use: A gymnasium providing an athletic
and physical education plant.
of Renovation: September 1984 —
Swimming pool renovated.
The building bears the name of the late State
Representative, Joseph E. Warner. The long
time Ypsilanti Representative had been instrumental
in gaining a $1.5 million dollar appropriation
for the construction of Bowen Field House
in 1951 (see Bowen Field House). When the
new gymnasium was constructed in 1964, it
was named in honor of him.
building housed gymnasiums, classrooms, offices,
special purpose rooms, a swimming pool and
the Human Performance Laboratory. It also
had locker facilities for 3,000 students.
In 1984, following the construction of the
new swimming pool in the Rec/IM, the old swimming
pool in Warner became the club pool with an
of Warner Gymnasium (Click on the image
for a bigger view)