- PC (Pentium 4) or Macintosh G4/5 with 512MB RAM, 17" monitor, 20GB hard drive, and a CD/DVD RW drive
- CDs or other storage media (with a drive) so you can create backup copies of your work
- Web design/site management software: Dreamweaver CS5 (Please note that the University templates are designed to be used with Dreamweaver. The templates may not function as well with other web editor programs.) You may purchase Dreamweaver CS5 as part of the Adobe CS5 Suite (available at the EMU Computer Store).
- Image editing software: Adobe Photoshop (preferred, and is included in the Adobe CS5 suite) or Photoshop Elements or Fireworks
- Current browsers: Internet Explorer 8/9; Firefox; Safari. Note that many other browsers will also work fine and are often superior in speed and functionality. Due to high-volume use, Explorer/Firefox/Safari are our "supported" browsers, and EMU sites must be coded to work in these browsers.
- Common browser plug-ins, including the Flash plug-in, Quicktime / Windows Media, RealAudio and Acrobat Reader
- Access to a high-speed, dedicated internet connection (this is available throughout the EMU campus), OR
- At a minimum, a modem capable of 56k and a dedicated phone line (with internet service through your preferred ISP or EMU)
The Minimum Tool Set
It is possible to get started in web development for less than $100, if you already have a computer, or access to a computer, and an internet connection.
Please note that working with the minimum tool set WILL require that you have additional knowledge of web development (such as proficiency with HTML), beyond the knowledge necessary for using a WYSIWYG web program. It will also take you longer to produce web pages.
- A computer that is internet capable (with an internet connection)
- A text editor (free)
- An SFTP program such as PuTTY (free for PC), Fugu (free for Mac) or Transmit ($25 for Mac). Fetch also supports SFTP; contact Integrated Content for a license number and download information for official EMU use.
- Current web browsers (Explorer/Firefox/Safari - all free, and others as preferred)
- Adobe Photoshop Elements (if your site will contain images that you will need to create or edit, this excellent program costs $100 or less; contact the Computer Store)
Highly recommended for everyone:
Dreamweaver CS5, currently available and well worth the investment (contact the Computer Store). This suite will also allow you to work with the EMU web site templates.