To determine the right career for someone they need to carefully access the following personality factors:
- Type of personality and character:
- Use of Myers-Briggs Test and other personal assessment tests.
- Specific character traits and behaviors, such as a team player, leader, listener, advocate, environmentalist, or patriot.
- Special language skills: Languages play a crucial role in downsizing your potential for international involvement. Below is a table of the most frequently used world languages that can guide one in selecting suitable language(s) or tell one where they stand in terms of language skill:
LanguageWorld RankNumber of countries in which language is spokenNumber (in millions) of native speakers worldwidePercentage of native speakers worldwideChinese11688513.8Hindi2173755.9Spanish3433585.6English41043475.4Arabic5172113.3Bengalí692103.3Portuguese7331782.8Rusian8301652.6Japanese9261252German10401001.6French1153771.2Malaysian-Indonesian1214581TOTAL3,08948.3
- Specific knowledge, skills, and personal talents: Knowledge and interest of a specific culture or ethnicity is important. Personal interest in a culture usually comes from one's origins, but sometimes it comes arise as a personal interest that one has developed in the very early stages of starting a career.
- Traveling experience and geographical areas of interest play a large part.
Some questions that will help one refine his potential geographical interests include:
- What kind of traveling sites do you enjoy and where are those located in the world?
- What kind of climates do you like?
- What are your favorite means of transportation and are those available in your country/area of interest?
- What is your favorite continent/country? Where you would love to live?
- How important is food to you and what is its availability in the area/country of interest?