As most job seekers know, one of the most important tasks in the job search is the preparation of a resume. Usually done on quality 8 ½”x 11” paper, it is of two types: chronological and functional. The chronological resume is used when the candidate have had a fairly direct path of development from one position to another in the same field. A functional resume emphasizes skills and is used by people who change jobs or careers frequently or who have little employment experience. A good resume will be one page long and will capture career goals, education, and work experience. The formats for both types of resumes follow. Activity: Prepare two resumes, using the models below and those on the following pages.
1.Chronological Resume: Name, address, telephone numbers
Professional Objective: Position and type of organization desired.
Education: Names of schools, dates, major fields of study, honors, GPA
Experience: Most recent first then work backwards, name of employers, dates, job title and achievements
Military Science: If applicable
Special Skills: e.g., computers, languages, (state which skills and level of proficiency)
Interests: hobbies, athletics, crafts
Memberships: In civic, political, religious organizations
Background information (optional): age, health, marital status
Reference: Write: “Furnished upon request”
2.Functional Resume: Name, address, telephone numbers
Professional Objectives: write several
Skills and Abilities: List 3-4 areas of expertise you possess then document with experience. Use action words (e.g., designed, managed, promoted, etc.) to describe them.
Education: same as above
Employment History: refer to any military or other services rendered, publications, interests, personal data, honors, scholarships
References: same as above.
1 For more suggestion, read Bernadette M. Curtin and Fred J. Hecklinger. Job Campaign Strategies, The Career Life Assessment series. Booklet Three. Richmond, VA: Virginia State Department of Education, 1981 (In ERIC ED 211 171)
Preparing a Winning Resume
Two fundamentals should be considered when creating a winning resume; the reader and the purpose. A hiring manager spends an average of thirty seconds reading a resume, so simple, concise, direct references are a necessity. Due to the importance of a good first impression, it is vital that a resume be aesthetically pleasing and no more than two pages in length. When compiling the body of a resume, individuals should provide dates for when degrees and professional credentials were earned and for their employment history. The resume should highlight and, if possible, quantify specific and verifiable achievements. If individuals are responding to an advertisement, their cover letter should show how their experience specifically matches the requirement stated in the ad.
Sample Chronological Resume
8754 Detroit Street
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48184
(313) 971 1234
To be associated with the Marketing Department of a multinational corporation, where proven ability and successful performance can be utilized to mutual advantage.
20- - 20
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Assistant International Marketing Manager
* Surveyed international market areas to determine potential sales
* Obtained market data on existing services to develop market plan
* Complied data on competitors for field sales staff and for special project efforts in World-field areas
20- - 20- -
* Conducted research for Mexican telecommunications company
* Planned, promoted and developed programs that led to expansion in the U.S., Canada, Latin American and Europe.
Eastern Michigan University
* B.B.A. in International Marketing, B.A. in Spanish and Latin American Studies, 199-; financed almost all college expenses
* Dean's list 3 of 5 years; honors student during senior year
* Fluent in Spanish and Portuguese; knowledgeable of French, German
* Computer skills: Lotus 123, Excel, Word perfect, Microsoft Word
* World resident or travel: Mexico, Europe, parts of Asia and Africa
* Strong administrative, interpersonal and general office skills
* Member of American and International Marketing Associations
* Licensed real estate agent; tennis and golf finalist in college
References furnished upon request.
605 Pearl Street
Rockville, Maryland 21210
Telephone: (301) 524-2263
Administrative Assistant position that would make use of coordination, analyzing, planning and budgeting skills
· Coordinated fund-raising activities of twenty members of local Parent Teachers Association, successfully raising $6,000 for playground facilities
· As member of Women’s League of Rockville Methodist Church, initiated relief center to meet clothing needs of the community
· Developed schedule to meet demands of five busy household members, including carpools, cleaning, cooking and general house management
· As treasurer of Civic Association, managed $10,000 budget for 2 years
· Organized and managed family budget for 17 years. Accumulated savings necessary for four years of college for daughter
· Learned to budget time, through well –organized scheduling of community activities and family responsibilities
· Developed interpersonal skills during 10 years’ experience with PTA and church members
· Learned subtleties of persuading adults to contribute time and money to community projects.
· Invested considerable time and effort in developing open communication between family members.
· Possess ability to retain a sense of humor in tense situations.
· Traveling, reading, and sewing.
· Elected treasurer of local Civic Association – 3 year term.
· Voted to board of Directors for Rockville Methodist Church – 1 year term.
· President of PTA 2 years consecutively.
References furnished upon request.