The Department of World Languages requires that all students of German, French, and Spanish take the respective Computerized Placement Examination (CAPE) unless they have no previous knowledge of the language or they have successfully completed their last course in that language at EMU less than one year before the semester in which they are enrolling (see EMU’S Online Undergraduate Catalog). Students of Japanese must make an appointment for an interview.
If you intend to register for a course in German, French, or Spanish, and you already have some knowledge of that language, whether through study or life experience, you must to take the CAPE, a computer administered examination, as soon as possible. The results of this examination will indicate to you the course level for which you are eligible to register.
Because the CAPE is administered individually, the time required varies from about 10 to 45 minutes. Most students complete the evaluation in less than 30 minutes.
To take the CAPE you need to do the following:
1. Make an appointment with the World Languages Department (219 Alexander) Monday–Friday, between the hours of 8:30am to 4:00pm. Bring a picture ID to your scheduled appointment.
2. Department staff will help you through the CAPE procedure. Do not bring any books, paper, notes, writing instruments, etc.
3. Write your name and student number in the blanks on the sheet provided to you by the staff.
4. When the computer informs you that you have completed the CAPE, ASK FOR ASSISTANCE FROM THE STAFF. They need to record your score and sign the sheet on the back.
5. The staff will look up your score on the Placement Equivalence Schedule on the back and tell you which is the recommended course for students with your score. They will give you a photocopy of the results and recommendation for your records and possible discussion with an advisor.
6. If you need to change the course for which you have already registered, please contact the Academic Advising Center or the Department of World Languages. They will assist you in making the necessary adjustments.