|Graduate Certificate in TESOL
Steps to obtain English as a Second Language Endorsement
Eastern Michigan University
To be eligible for ESL endorsement, you must already be certified to teach
by the Michigan Department of Education.
1. You must be admitted to the Graduate Certificate Program in TESL and then complete the required TSLN courses, listed below, at Eastern Michigan University (on campus or at a regional center).
2. Then you need to sign up to take the state exam (MTTC) for the ESL endorsement. To register, go to www.mttc.nesinc.com. This is a user-friendly web site where you can register to take the test and download a practice test & study material.
3. When you have finished your TSLN coursework at EMU, applied for graduation and received a passing score on the MTTC, make photocopies of your test score document, your most recent Michigan teaching certificate, and your transcripts.
4. Fill out the EMU application for endorsement recommendation. You can download this document, Application for Additional Endorsement, from the following address: http://www.emich.edu/coe/students/cont_cert/docs/prog_study_add_endorse_maj_minor.pdf. Upon entering this site, scroll down until you see the title Forms; print the application and complete it. Have it signed by the TESOL Advisor in the Department of World Languages at EMU. You can leave it in the TESOL Advisor’s mailbox in 219 Alexander Bldg.
5. Submit the signed form and all photocopies to: Dr. Amy Eastman, Office of Academic Services, Continuing Professional Certification, 206 Porter Building, EMU. The endorsement fee is US$50. *Note: Do not send payment with the application. The College of Education will bill you later for the endorsement.
Required courses: credit hours
TSLN 502 A Pedagogical Grammar and Phonology of ESL - 4 credit hours
TSLN 520 Testing and Assessment - 2 credit hours
TSLN 521 Content-based Instruction & Materials for English Language Learners - 2 credit hours
TSLN 525 Second Language Acquisition for Classroom Teachers - 3 credit hours
TSLN 530 TESOL Methods: Grammar, Reading & Writing - 2 credit hours
TSLN 531 TESOL Materials: Grammar, Reading & Writing - 1 credit hours
TSLN 532 TESOL Methods: Listening, Speaking, Pronunciation - 2 credit hours
TSLN 533 TESOL Materials: Listening, Speaking, Pronunciation - 1 credit hours
FLAN 540 Cultural Issues in Language Teaching - 2 credit hours
TSLN 588 Observation, Analysis & Practicum in ESL Classrooms - 3 credit hours
For information on course schedule, contact the Department of World Languages at 734.487.0130. To apply to the Graduate Certificate in TESL, which leads to the ESL endorsement, go to www.emich.edu and click on admissions. Application forms may be obtained from the website at http://www.emich.edu/admissions.