SI for Students
What does an SI Leader do for me?
- Support instructors support students inside the classroom via attending class lecture, engaging in classroom discussion and helping students with questions and confusions before and after class.
- Plan and facilitate weekly study and review sessions for the course. These SI sessions are engaging, collaborative and non-remedial, meaning they keep up with course material and give students the opportunity to review and practice what they’re learning with support from their fellow classmates.
- Offer drop-in “office hours” for individualized assistance and questions at Eagle Study Tables.
Does it work?
Absolutely! Don’t take our word for it though. Here’s what students had to say:
- "I really enjoy SI and find SI to be very helpful! It's a much more personal environment and allows me to ask questions about whatever! My SI makes awesome exam review packets and has great activities that help me a lot." (Bailey Fast - Fall 2015)
- "Using the BIO 251 supplemental instructors has been immensely helpful in mastering this course. The [SI] instructors are knowledgeable and enthusiastic about helping you better understand the material and prepare you for tough exams and quizzes." (Meredith Phillips - Fall 2015)
- "With only two semesters of college under my belt, I can safely say that SI has been a fantastic study source for my harder classes. My current SI is great with explaining material and provides a tremendous amount of help, as well as various studying materials (and she brings us donuts!) I honestly do not know why more people do not take advantage of SI!" (Kaylin Peterson - Fall 2015)
For more data and information on the effectiveness of SI, visit our Student Success Data page.