Graduate Admission Requirements
Effective January 22, 2018, all post-secondary transcripts from non-U.S. institutions must be submitted directly to one of the following four approved evaluation services for a detailed, course by course report. Applicants should allow 2–6 weeks for the evaluation to be completed.
- Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE)
- Course-by-course report
- Submit electronically using ECE Dispatch
- Educational Perspectives (EP)
- Course analysis evaluation
- Request report be submitted to [email protected]
- World Education Services (WES)
- Course-by-course evaluation
- Submit electronically using Access WES
These evaluation services are accredited through NACES, an association of independent, nongovernmental organizations providing credential evaluation services to individuals who have completed part or all of their education outside the United States.
Once the transcript evaluation is completed, both the transcript evaluation report and the international credentials required for the evaluation must be submitted to Eastern Michigan University. These documents must be submitted directly from the transcript evaluation company or through Digitary Core, a secure method of transcript submission. If the student decides to use more than one transcript evaluation service from the approved list, the university will only use the first one received for making the admission decision and for transfer credit purposes.
If you are admitted as a conditional senior to the Graduate School, you must submit the final international transcripts and degree certificate from your prior academic program as well as an official English translation to the Office of International Admissions to fulfill the condition. You do not need to submit these documents back to the evaluation company.
Official test scores must be sent directly to EMU from one of the following tests: TOEFL (school code: 1201), IELTS, MET or PTE. Copies are not acceptable. Some students may be eligible for an ESL testing waiver [PDF] based on prior academic experience — contact International Admissions to confirm your waiver eligibility.
If you test below our minimum requirements and require a student visa, you will be contacted by the Office of International Admissions with your options to improve your English proficiency. Here are the minimum test scores required for full admission:
- TOEFL: 79 iBT* (TOEFL Home Edition also accepted)
- IELTS: 6.5 (IELTS Indicator also accepted)
- Pearson English Language Test (PTE): 53
- Michigan English Test (MET): 57
- Duolingo: 105 (Students admitted based on Duolingo English Test scores will be required to take an English proficiency exam upon arrival and may be placed into English as a Second Language courses, depending on their performance on this exam)
*The Graduate School accepts both MyBest scores and single-test-date TOEFL scores. Individual programs may choose not to accept MyBest scores and may require a higher level of English proficiency than required by the Graduate School. Consult the Graduate Catalog to find the admissions criteria for your program.
Graduate Degrees and Programs
Visit the degrees and programs page for additional requirements from your specific program.
Non-Degree Seeking Students
EMU does offer some opportunities for students to take online courses from their home country without pursuing a full degree.
- Non-degree seeking students are ineligible to obtain student visas
- Find a full list of online courses for upcoming semesters here.
- For graduate-level courses, select 500-599 or 600-899 levels
- Note: Not all classes are available to non-degree seeking students. Please contact the department directly for eligibility questions.
- Apply via the Online Graduate Application and when selecting a program, select ‘Non-Degree Graduate’. Additionally, when asked on the application to insert an ‘expected visa type’, select ‘WW EMU program online’
Financial Statement of Responsibility
If you are an F1 or F3 applicant and are required to demonstrate the ability to cover all expenses while attending EMU, you will need to fill out the financial statement of responsibility form [PDF].
Official documentation of available funds demonstrating your ability to pay for one academic year of study in United States Dollars (USD). Approved forms of financial documentation must be liquid in nature such as: savings/checking accounts, certificates of deposits (CDs) and U.S.-based money market accounts with immediate withdraw into U.S. dollars. This documentation must be original and submitted via postal mail or in person.
Once academically admitted, SACM students will be provided with an admission letter to submit to SACM in order to receive an official financial guarantee.
Passports and VISAs
Fl/Jl applicants: Submit copies of ALL passports and United States VISAs to the Office of International Admissions at [email protected].
Permanent Resident applicants: Submit copy of green card or Permanent Residence card.
H4 applicants: Submit copy of VISA, primary's VISA and employment verification letter.
Is your visa type not listed? Contact International Admissions for more information.
Already admitted to EMU? The final step to confirm your admission is to order the shipment of your I-20 document.