Why Choose EMU
At Eastern Michigan University, you will find a campus that is small enough to be truly welcoming but large enough to offer many opportunities for study, research and growth. When you join Eastern Michigan University, you will be joining an international community of scholars and leaders.
Ranked as the 85th best regional university by U.S. News and World Report, EMU is located in Ypsilanti, Mich. — just 20 minutes from the Detroit International Airport. Want to explore more? We are close to many great cities:
- Ann Arbor, Michigan: 10 minutes
- Detroit, Michigan: 45 minutes
- Cleveland, Ohio: 2 hours and 45 minutes
- Chicago, Illinois: 4 hours
- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania: 4 hours and 30 minutes
Home to over 20,000 students, 1,300 faculty and 900 staff members, the Eastern community is diverse and welcoming.
- We have international students from over 80 different countries studying at the graduate and undergraduate levels. Want to meet them?
- Connect with the International Student Association, an organization of globally-minded students who work together to develop cultural programs and connect with each other on a multicultural level.
- We have a whole team of professional and student staff committed to helping you on your journey to Eastern.
Here at EMU, we are committed to help you achieve success. From the application process to the visa process, from your first day on campus to commencement, Eastern Michigan will support you.
- Learn more about Eastern Michigan University with these resources, which include application instruction videos in different languages.
- The Office for International Students and Scholars (OISS) will be your home away from home. OISS offers advising, activities, and assistance for international students.
- Live the full Eastern experience.
- Eastern offers many different options for living on campus – including a Global Village living community. Learn more about the opportunity to live on campus.
- There are many options for dining on campus. From burgers and fries to our all-you-care-to-eat Commons, you can try something new every day of the week!