Eastern Michigan University alumni make amazing things happen. Their accomplishments benefit both society and campus. Their careers showcase innovative talent, dedication, passion, and desire to affect change.
- Outstanding Young Alumni Award is presented to alumni whose achievements have been signified by personal honors bestowed upon them by their peers and who have demonstrated the worth of their education through their post-college achievements. Generally, recipients have been graduates of EMU for less than 10 years and/or are less than 35 years of age.
- Alumni Achievement Award is given to alumni who have achieved distinction in their chosen field, clearly demonstrated the value of their college education, and maintained a continuing interest in Eastern Michigan University. Generally, recipients have been graduates of EMU for 10-25 years.
- Distinguished Alumni Award is given to alumni who have achieved extraordinary distinction in their chosen field, demonstrated unusual service to others, and maintained a continuing interest in Eastern Michigan University. Generally, recipients have been graduates of EMU for more than 25 years.
- Dr. John W. Porter Distinguished Service Award is presented to individuals who have made an outstanding contribution to Eastern Michigan University or the Alumni Association of EMU. Recipients need not be graduates of Eastern Michigan University.
- Individuals nominated must be an EMU degree holder and fit the award description; the Porter Award category is exempt.
- To be considered a complete nomination form must be submitted.
- Nominations must have a one page narrative, completed by the nominator. The narrative should explain why the nominee deserves to be considered for said award, should clearly outline the contributions the nominee has made in their chosen field, and how their efforts have been impactful.
- A minimum of two letters of recommendation must be submitted to support the nomination.
- Other supporting documents such as a resume, a biography, articles, and photos are accepted and highly recommended.
- Faculty and Staff of Eastern Michigan University cannot be nominated for any alumni award until one year after their date of separation as an employee. Adjunct Faculty are exempt.
- Recipients of the Young Alumni Award are not eligible for other alumni awards until 20 years after receiving said award. Young Alumni Award recipients are eligible for up to two alumni awards in their lifetime. All other recipients may only receive one alumni award throughout their lifetime.
- Members of the Alumni Association Board of Directors are not eligible for any award until 5 years after retiring from the board.
- The selection committee may consider a nominee for a different alumni award category for which they were not nominated if the alumni award criteria are more appropriate for their experience.
- All nominations will stay on file and be considered for three consecutive years.
A selection committee made up of Alumni Board members review the applications annually.
Nominations for the 2021 Alumni Awards are now closed. Application for nominations open annually on July 1 and are received through the third Friday in October.
Congratulations to our 2020 Alumni Award Recipients: View Award Recipients.