55th Annual Alumni Award Criteria and Nomination
The Alumni Association Board of Directors honors alumni and friends each year at the annual Alumni Awards. Alumni and friends are awarded in one of four categories, representing graduation years, career achievement, community service, and engagement with Eastern Michigan University. Nominations are due by Friday, October 16, 2015.
Outstanding Young Alumnus/Alumna Award
This award is presented to alumni whose achievements have been signified by personal honors bestowed upon them by their peers and who have demonstrated the worth of their education through their post-college achievements. Generally, recipients have been graduates of EMU for less than 10 years and are under 35 years of age.
Alumnus/Alumna Achievement Award
This award is given to alumni who have achieved distinction in their chosen field, clearly demonstrated the value of their college education, and maintained a continuing interest in Eastern Michigan University. Generally, recipients have been graduates of EMU for 10-25 years.
Distinguished Alumnus/Alumna Award
This award is given to alumni who have achieved extraordinary distinction in their chosen field, demonstrated unparalleled service to others, and maintained a continuing interest in Eastern Michigan University. Generally, recipients have been graduates of EMU for more than 25 years.
Dr. John W. Porter Distinguished Service Award
This award is presented to individuals who have made an outstanding contribution to Eastern Michigan University or the Alumni Association of EMU. Recipients need not be graduates of Eastern Michigan University.
- Faculty and Staff of Eastern Michigan University cannot be nominated for any alumni award until one year after the date of separation as employee. Adjunct Faculty are exempt.
- Recipients of the Young Alumni Award are not eligible for other alumni awards until 20 years after receiving said award. Young Alumni Award recipients are eligible for up to two alumni awards in their lifetime. All other recipients may only receive one alumni award throughout their lifetime.
- Members of the Alumni Association Board of Directors are not eligible for any award until 5 years after retiring from the board.
- The Awards and Recognition Committee may consider a nominee for a different alumni award category for which they were not nominated if the alumni award criteria are more appropriate for their experience.
- All nominations will stay on file and be considered for three consecutive years.
A selection committee made up of Alumni Board members review the applications annually.