Higher Learning Commission Report
The report provides an overview of challenges to address and positive points about Eastern Michigan University.
- The University needs to consistently balance its annual expenses and revenues, significantly increase its reserves to meet HLC financial metrics, and prepare by December 2018 an aggressive Financial Recovery Plan to demonstrate these factors.
- EMU needs to update its Strategic Plan to include specific metrics for success in various areas -- particularly retention, persistence, and graduation -- and then regularly assess its success in meeting those goals. Additionally, the University needs to communicate those successes to the campus and broader community. To address this issue, EMU is planning to work with the campus community beginning in Fall 2018 to update its Strategic Plan to include specific goals and metrics aligned with University-wide initiatives.
- EMU needs to enhance and increase its campus communications, including updating outdated Board policies (this process began at the February 2018 Board meeting and will continue) and websites.
- EMU has a strong Mission that is clearly articulated in many venues
- EMU is committed to diversity and inclusion and has taken numerous steps to show that commitment, including creating the President's Commission on Diversity & Inclusion.
- EMU demonstrates its "supportiveness and commitment to values of diversity, inclusiveness and respect."
- EMU is deeply engaged with the community, as demonstrated by several "outstanding" programs.
- EMU provides accessible and informative data in, among other places, the Data Book, the Student Business Services website (for tuition & fee data), and Admissions web pages.
- EMU "articulates and differentiates learning goals for undergraduate, graduate" and other programs.
- The HLC noted several positive components of EMU's General Education program.
- EMU has "sufficient staffing required to deliver effective, high quality programs and student services."
Download the HLC Report (pdf)