Eastern Michigan University



Click on a question to display/close the answer.


  1. What is counseling?

    Counseling—or psychotherapy—is a professional relationship with a therapist to help you with personal problems. The counseling relationship differs from both social friendships and traditional patient-doctor relationships. Rather than giving you specific advice, counselors serve as skilled listeners who help you clarify goals, work through issues, and explore feelings.  Ultimately, psychotherapy helps you deal more effectively with your problems.

  2. Isn’t it better for me to solve problems on my own?

    A counselor doesn’t solve your problems for you. Rather, he or she helps you clarify issues so you can solve problems on your own. The goal of counseling is to make you more self-sufficient, not more dependent.

  3. But I’m not crazy!

    There is no such thing as "crazy," and you don’t have to be severely mentally ill to speak with a counselor. On the contrary, it’s a sign of health to recognize when you have a problem and to seek help for it.

  4. Who will I see if I come to Counseling and Psychological Services?

    Professional staff are licensed psychologists, social workers, and counselors. Graduate student counselors from the Departments of Psychology, Social Work, and Leadership and Counseling also provide services under the supervision of professional staff.

  5. What kind of problems do students come to counseling for?

    Students encounter many problems during college years and find support from friends, relatives, and EMU staff and faculty. Counseling and Psychological Services can help when concerns last too long, when the problem interferes with relationships, school or work, and when problems are complicated and are better handled by trained professionals. 

    Some of the most common issues we work with are depression, anxiety, stress, adjustment, relationship issues, grief, assault, substance use concerns, and suicidal thinking.   We also work with clients who have many less-common concerns.  If you have a problem that is outside of the scope of services provided at CAPS we will help you find appropriate treatment in the community.

  6. Who can be seen for counseling?
    • All currently-enrolled EMU students.
    • Faculty and staff can be seen for brief consultation regarding concerns about students.
  7. When can I see a counselor?
    • Appointments are available Monday-Friday 8:00a.m. to 5:00p.m.  Regular counseling visits are scheduled in advance.
  8. Is there a charge for the services?

    No. Services for counseling are provided to registered students at no cost.

  9. What if I have an emergency?
    • Emergency support is available for students in crisis (e.g., following an assault, recent death of a loved one, or serious thoughts about killing oneself or someone else).
    • Between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., come into Counseling and Psychological Services and tell the front desk that you are having an emergency. The next available counselor will talk to you.
    • After 5:00 p.m., you can reach our after-hours crisis line by calling the main CAPS phone number.  You can also call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1.800.273.TALK(8255) or go to your local emergency department.
    • If someone is in immediate danger, call 911.
  10. What can I expect at my first visit to CAPS?

    The first appointment will be scheduled for an hour and a half. First, you will be asked to complete some paperwork. Then, you will meet with a counselor who will ask you some questions regarding your current situation, and past history of treatment. Finally, the counselor will discuss treatment options with you.

  11. Will my counseling records be a part of my academic record?

    All counseling records are confidential and are not part of the academic record.

  12. What if I need longer-term psychotherapy?

    Counseling and Psychological Services staff will refer you to agencies and private psychotherapists in the community. Some agencies see students on a sliding-fee scale, so you are charged only what you can afford to pay. Many EMU students are covered under health insurance which often pays for mental health and substance abuse treatment.

  13. What kind of workshops do you offer?

    We offer workshops on stress, healthy sleep, relationships, and more. For a comprehensive list, see our Group Therapy & Workshops section.

  14. What can I do if I am concerned about a friend?

    You can talk with a therapist by phone or set up a brief appointment to discuss what is happening with your friend and what you think you might be able to do to help. If you think it is a crisis, call immediately.

  15. What self-help resources are available?

    Counseling and Psychological Services has a Recommended Reading List. You might also look at resources in the self-help resources.


  1. How much does counseling cost?

    No fees are charged for therapy services.   We provide short term treatment, with a maximum of 12 sessions per academic year. Students in crisis will not be turned away if they have used the allocated 12 sessions. Students seeking medication at Snow Health Center will have expenses for office visits and medications.

  2. How does my child make an appointment?

    To schedule a first appointment, they will need to come into our office at 313 Snow Health Center, between the hours of 8:00-5:00 Monday-Friday, or call 734-487-1118. The first appointment will be scheduled for an hour and a half, so they can complete paperwork and meet with a therapist. When they meet with a therapist they will be asked questions to clarify their current situation and past history. The therapist will discuss treatment options with them. We will make every effort to see that they receive the best available care, whether it is on or off campus.

  3. What can I do if I suspect that my daughter or son could benefit from professional help and support?

    It might be helpful to say something like "You don't seem to be yourself lately and I’m worried about you. Have you thought about going to talk to someone about your concerns? I think it would be really good for you to talk with an objective person who can help you sort out whatever is bothering you. Will you go to Counseling and Psychological Services and make an appointment?"

  4. Does Counseling and Psychological Services provide walk-in services?

    Yes. Both emergency consultation and crisis counseling are available to students in person or by telephone. If a student is dealing with an urgent situation or crisis during regular business hours, they can come into the office and request to be seen by a therapist as soon as possible. Students needing an emergency appointment should arrive no later than 3:30 p.m. so we have time to help them.

    After 5:00p.m. and on the weekends, the following resources are available:

    • Call CAPS to speak to our after-hours crisis counseling service (734-487-1118).
    • Call 911.
    • Go to the local emergency room.
      • St. Joseph Mercy Hospital: 734-712-5637
      • Psychiatric Emergency Services, University of Michigan Hospital: 734-996-4747
    • Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK(8255)
  5. Can I talk to a counselor at Counseling and Psychological Services?

    Yes. One of our senior staff will talk to you about concerns regarding your son or daughter. However, once the student is receiving our services, therapists cannot provide you with any information about their treatment unless the student signs a release of information document. 

  6. My child is a first-year student and is coming to EMU already diagnosed with a depression and needs medication monitoring. Where does s/he go?

    CAPS does not currently offer psychiatry or medication management. We are seeking to fill an open psychiatrist position and anticipate offering these services again in the future.  Your student will likely need to return home to see their prescribing physician or seek out a psychiatrist in the local community. It is important that your student comes to EMU with enough medication to last until s/he can receive services.

Make a Gift
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • youtube
  • linked in
  • Blog EMU