Frequently Asked Questions
Where is the fair held?
- The fair is held at EMU'S Student Center located at 900 Oakwood St. Ypsilanti, MI 48197.
What companies are going to be there?
- A full list of participating employers can be found by visiting the participating employers page.
How should I dress?
- Business suit or dress in solid color or subtle pattern, conservative length
- Polished, closed-toe shoes, basic dark pumps with medium or low heels
- Nails clear or light color (if polished), clean and not chipped
- Clutch or small shoulder bag; choose between an attaché case or handbag (not both)
- Always wear hosiery and keep color neutral
- Makeup should be minimal and understated
- Navy, black, charcoal gray or pin-stripe suit
- Polished shoes; dress oxfords, black or cordovan (belt should be same color)
- Clean nails
- Conservative tie
- Solid white shirt, pressed
- Avoid flashy cuff links, rings or neck chains; no earrings
- Over the calf dark socks
- Freshly showered
- Clean clothes
- No chewing gum
- One ring per hand with exception of the wedding set
- Simple and basic jewelry (remove any facial jewelry)
- Light fragrances, if any
What should I bring?
- It is recommended that you bring 20-25 copies of your résumé on high quality paper (there will not be a copier on site to make additional copies) as well as a reliable pen. If applicable, also bring a portfolio or a sample of your work to demonstrate your skills.
How much does it cost to attend?
- There is NO FEE to attend this job fair! However, ALL participating candidates must be working towards or have already obtained a college degree . Employers will be specifically recruiting for positions that require a degree.
What’s the best way to optimize my time?
- It is recommended that you view the participating employers page to determine the positions and academic major each employer is recruiting for prior to attending the fair, so that you are able to research the companies that are recruiting your major. Once you enter the fair you will be given a map with the location of each employer so that you can visit the booths of those companies you are interested in meeting.
- All recruiters are interested in meeting potential candidates, however, it is your responsibility to initiate contact. Keep in mind that any time you meet potential employers you are being evaluated, even if the meeting lasts only a minute or two. This is why first impressions are so critical.
When should I arrive?
- The EMU Spring Career Fair runs from 11:00am to 3:00pm. Employers are suggested to arrive at 9:00am to check-in and set-up. Students can arrive as early as 10:30am to check-in and to be the first to meet with employers.
Will there be a break in the fair for lunch?
- The fair will run continuously without a break from 11:00am - 3:00pm. However, during the lunch hour employer booths may have less recruiters as they will rotate shifts to take a lunch break.
- Students may leave the fair to take a lunch break (food vendors on-site to purchase) and re-enter with your name badge to participate in the remainder of the fair.
Where do I park?
- EMU parking map highlights available parking on EMU's campus. Parking vouchers provided to participating employers on-site on the day of the event.
What academic majors are employers seeking?
- The majors in which employers are seeking varies by employer. However, you may periodically check the participating employers page to determine which positions and majors each employer will be recruiting for.
Am I eligible to participate?
Students and graduates of any two- or four-year institution are welcome to attend. The job fair is primarily targeted toward new college graduates and recent alumni seeking entry-level professional employment. Some employers may offer opportunities for internships, cooperative education and advanced positions as well.
Why is my résumé collected on-site when I register?
- Résumés are collected at on-site registration in order to report to participating colleges and universities the number of students and alumni attending the fair from their institution.