YpsiWrites is a nonprofit community writing center. Our mission is to empower and encourage the voices of our community by providing free writing support to teen and adult residents of Ypsilanti. Our trained writing tutors and workshop leaders are available to help teen and adult writers with any and all types of writing, including resumes, essays, stories, business plans, poetry, memoirs, and more.
Writing Matters in Ypsi! A One-Year Celebration of YpsiWrites
Join Us for Our Virtual Celebration Oct 24
RSVP to the YpsiWrites National Day on Writing event, Oct 24 from 1:30–2:45 p.m.
Join YpsiWrites to celebrate our one-year anniversary and the many ways "Writing Matters to Ypsi!" during this year's National Day on Writing event—October 24, 1:30–2:45 p.m.
This 75-minute virtual event will be family-friendly, focusing on why writing matters to us personally, why it matters within our communities, and why it matters globally. You'll have a chance to hear from some of the 2020 YpsiWrites' featured "Writers of Ypsilanti" and collaborate with other participants to create a message inspiring others in Ypsilanti to know that their writing also matters!
Virtual Tutoring is Now Available
Want to support local community voices? Your donations help us provide free, community-wide writing support. Donate today!
Our tutors are now providing virtual writing consultations. You have two options for writing support:
- Comments about writing: If you would like someone to review your writing and provide feedback, please fill out this virtual submissions form.
- Conversations about writing: If you would like to talk to someone through a video chat about your writing, please fill out our Google Meet consultation form.
We have full instructions [PDF] for requesting virtual writing help.
Writing Activities and Resources During a Time of Social Distancing
If you're looking to do some writing while staying at home, we have the resources and activities you need to get started.
- Online Writing Resources: If you would like to express yourself through writing, check out this list of fun writing activities, prompts, videos, and lessons.
- Journaling to Make Sense of This Time: We are living through an unprecedented moment in history—a time which has already created uncertainty, creativity, boredom, heroism, confusion . . . and more. How can we use writing to make sense of this moment? How can we use it to document this moment? How can we use it to share this moment with others?
- Nature Writing: Many of us—especially during these days of isolation and social distancing—find joy and inspiration in nature. In that spirit we offer these writing prompts, designed by YpsiWrites volunteer lisa eddy, to help you slow down and appreciate the natural world. There are some for those who are able to get outside and observe, and some for those who remain indoors but appreciate nature through the window.
- Zine Activity: Make a zine at home! Zines are small publications that are created by individuals and fueled by independent vision! In other words, zines are made by ordinary people about the things they love, and the ideas close to their hearts.
- Writing that Matters to Me: YpsiWrites wants to share the writing that is uplifting and calming you during this time of uncertainty. You have two options for sharing writing: (1) share what you’re reading or (2) share what you’re writing. If you would like to participate, follow these steps.
Want to get involved?
Learn more about our volunteer opportunities by signing up to receive more information through our Google Form.
Questions? Email [email protected]m. Connect with us on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter, @YpsiWrites, to stay up to date on all YpsiWrites happenings.