Principles and Practices of Coatings Formulations
Date: May 11-14, 2021
Course Fee: $1,125
Location: Virtual Course
Instructor: Vijay Mannari, Ph.D.
The primary objective of this course is to familiarize attendees with paints and coatings fundamental principles underlying formulations of paints and coatings. The knowledge of basic concepts of coatings formulations goes a long way in understanding and appreciating market segments, product differentiations, product attributes and performance, cost, application areas and trouble-shooting. As such, a basic understanding of coating raw materials and concepts underlying formulations of coatings, formulation tools, coating calculations, defects and troubleshooting will be presented. Effects of key formulation parameters on product attributes and cost will also be discussed.
Who should attend?
This course is designed to provide a thorough fundamental understanding and working knowledge of coating formulations to general personnel in the industry. It is highly recommended for marketing, technical sales, paint users, quality control staff, customer support staff, field representatives, manufacturing personnel, entry-level chemists in technical/research area and all others who need a broad knowledge of this dynamic complex area of coating industry.
What you will learn
- The basic role of paint ingredients and their effects on coating performance
- Paint Types: Industrial, automotive, architectural – how they differ
- Fundamentals of coating formulations
- Volume relationships – PVC and CPVC concepts
- Paint calculations
- Rheology in coatings
- Understanding formulation parameters, optimization and their effects on performance/cost
- Cost reduction strategies and strategies for "green" coatings
- Principles of pigment dispersion, dispersion equipment, mill-base formulation techniques
- Paint defects – causes, resolution
- Overview of global paint and coatings market
- Overview of coating technologies and trends
- The basic role of paint ingredients
- Paint Types: Industrial, automotive and architectural
- Waterborne coatings, solvent borne, powder and UV-EB
- Air-drying, forced drying – 1K, 2K
- Primers, base coats, top coats, clear and sealers
- Coating Formulation Fundamentals: Volume relationship
- PVC and CPVC concepts
- Key formulation parameters and paint calculations
- Principles of pigment dispersion and mill-base formulations
- Role of additives
- Effect of formulation parameters on properties/performance of coatings
- Rheology in coatings
- Coating calculations
- Understanding coating formulations: Industrial, architectural and automotive
- Performance optimization
- Coating defects and resolution
- Formulation from scratch!
- Experimental method for determination of CPVC
- Daniel-flow point – for mill-base formulation
- Dispersion demand of pigments
To enroll in a course, please visit our Polymers and Coatings registration site.