About this Program
The mission of the Product Design Engineering Technology (PDET) program at Eastern Michigan University is to provide a high-quality, application-oriented education which develops future professionals who will improve the design of current products and design and develop new and innovative products. The goal of the program is to provide college graduates with the skills needed to successfully enter the workforce, the potential to grow with the needs of the advancement of technology, and to educate future leaders in the profession. The faculty in the program are committed to providing service and leadership in the promotion and advancement of the educational goals of the University.
Program Education Objectives
The education objectives of the Product Design Engineering Technology program are to produce graduates who:
- Graduates will be gainfully employed in product design engineering technology careers where they will continue to build upon their technical knowledge using modern tools such as CAD software, total quality management, and design for manufacturing to design and improve products and processes.
- Graduates will work effectively as members of design, engineering, and business teams.
- Graduates will effectively communicate design intent and technical information in written and oral formats.
- Graduates will engage with professional and design related organizations in lifelong learning activities with a commitment to continuous improvement.
- Graduates will exercise an understanding of professional ethics and engage in ethical and socially responsible design.
- Graduates will practice effective team working skills that will allow them to manage conflict, think critically by using data in the decision-making process to avoid groupthink, and engage with team members from diverse backgrounds in a way that promotes inclusion, resulting in the design of better products.
Product Design Engineering Technology (PDET) Student Outcomes
Product Design Engineering Technology (PDET) Student Outcomes The PDET Student Outcomes (SO) capture the desired attributes that the PDET program in the School of Engineering Technology aspires to impart to its students through the curriculum and academic experience.
- An ability to select and apply the knowledge, techniques, skills, and modern tools of the discipline to broadly-defined engineering technology activities;
- An ability to select and apply a knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering, and technology to engineering technology problems that require the application of principles and applied procedures or methodologies;
- An ability to conduct standard tests and measurements; to conduct, analyze, and interpret experiments; and to apply experimental results to improve processes;
- An ability to design systems, components, or processes for broadly-defined engineering technology problems appropriate to program educational objectives;
- An ability to function effectively as a member or leader on a technical team; An ability to identify, analyze, and solve broadly-defined engineering technology problems;
- An ability to apply written, oral, and graphical communication in both technical and non-technical environments; and an ability to identify and use appropriate technical literature;
- An understanding of the need for and an ability to engage in self-directed continuing professional development;
- An understanding of and a commitment to address professional and ethical responsibilities including a respect for diversity;
- A knowledge of the impact of engineering technology solutions in a societal and global context;
- A commitment to quality, timeliness, and continuous improvement
- Call: 734.487.2040
- Office: 111 Sill Hall, Ypsilanti, MI 48197