About this Program
The mission of the Interior Design Programs (undergraduate and graduate) at Eastern Michigan University is academic preparation of students to enable them to solve problems related to the function, health/safety/wellbeing, and quality of interior environments.
The programs promote design research, critical thinking, and creativity in design decisions applied to all interior spaces, components, and elements encompassed in the built environment. These decisions reflect consideration for social welfare, cultural implications, global and economic elements.
The curriculum blends theory and technical skills, with a sensitivity to environmentally responsible/sustainable design issues and consideration for the needs of all users regardless of age, physical stature, or disability status.
Graduates are well prepared to enter the work place with a skill set that allows them to thrive professionally and work collaboratively in both the commercial and residential areas of the profession.
The program has been continuously accredited since the 1980's.
The interior design program leading to the Bachelor of Science degree in Interior Design is accredited by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation, 206 Grandville Avenue, Suite 350, Grand Rapids, MI, 49503.
The CIDA-accredited program prepares students for entry-level interior design practice, for advanced study, and to apply for membership in professional interior design organizations. The Interior Design degree granted by Eastern Michigan University meets the educational requirement for eligibility to sit for the National Council for Interior Design Qualification Examination (NCIDQ). For more information, visit the NCIDQ Exams Eligibility.
- Michigan Design Center
- Student Achievement Data [PDF]
- Laptop Requirements [PDF]
- Incoming IDE Freshmen supply list [PDF]
- IDE Marketing Portfolio [PDF]
- International Interior Design Association (IIDA)
- International Furnishings and Design Association (IFDA)
- American society of Interior Designers (ASID)
- National Council for Interior Design Qualification (NCIDQ)
- U.S Green Building Council (USGBC)
- Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA)
Student and Program Events
- Sweeping sensations: Eastern Michigan University interior design students take top three places in nationwide competition for second consecutive year
- IDE students selected as recipients of Configura 2019 CET Designer Awards [PDF]
- Pei Yao Huang awarded IFDA Educational Foundation scholarship [PDF]
- Asma Siddique has been selected as a finalist in the Sherwin-Williams 2019 Design Challenge competition [PDF]
- Undergraduate Symposium of 2019 [PDF]
- Digital Divas had an event on October 2nd for middle school girls [PDF]
- 2018 - Members of Interior Design discuss the benefits of virtual reality
- 2017 Studio Collaboration with Henry Ford Village, Dearborn, MI
- 2017 Detroit News article [PDF]
- Undergraduate Symposium of 2017 [PDF]
- Winners of State Competition - The Ghiorde's Knot 27th Student Creative Space Competition, 2017 EMU student winners: Karley Hass and Pei Huang [PDF]
- 56th Annual Alumni Achievement Award (2017) Eastern Michigan University, IDE alumnus, Lisa Moore [PDF]
- Undergraduate Symposium 2016 [PDF]
- IDE Program Reunion Event Fall 2015 [PDF]
- Home Lifestyle Event Fall 2015 [PDF]
- Just Build It - Construction Career Expo 2015 [PDF]
- Undergraduate Symposium 2015 [PDF]
- Awarded re-accreditation by CIDA (Council for Interior Design Accreditation), 2014 [PDF]
- 2014 Ghiordes Knot Competition, 2nd prize [PDF]
- Call: 734.487.2490
- Office: 206 Roosevelt, Ypsilanti, MI 48197