You can go to our co-op page to look for co-op, internship or summer research positions.
External Websites that Post Chemistry Positions
- Aerotek is actively recruiting for a position at a company located in Ann Arbor. The company is looking to hire an entry level student with a completed Bachelors degree in Chemistry for a position in their Analytical Laboratory. More information [PDF].
- NSF International (which has a facility in Ann Arbor) has a very nice website where they post open positions, including chemistry intern positions. Go to the NSF website. If you click on "Search for Jobs" and then select "Ann Arbor, MI, US" and then click on the Search box, you can see a list of positions that are open locally.
- Cayman Chemical (with its main facility in Ann Arbor) has a very nice website where they post open positions, including chemistry intern positions. Visit the career opportunities page of the Cayman Chemical website. If you click on "View All Job Opportunities" you can see what positions are available.
- The US Government posts full-time, part-time, and intern positions. Go to the USAJOBS website (with the default search keyword specified as Chemist). You can narrow the search to Chemistry positions by choosing the Job Category to be "Physical Science" and then for the Occupational Series, select "Chemistry". Of course, you can search other areas as your interest and experience dictates.
- Pure Michigan Talent Connect is a search engine that can be used to look for jobs in Michigan. (By typing "Chemist" in the Job Title box, there were 44 positions posted as of 9/11/14.)
- The LinkUp job search engine can be used to look for positions anywhere in the country. (By typing "Chemist" in the job title box, there were 809 positions posted as of 9/11/14. Options are available to narrow your search.)
- The American Chemical Society regularly hosts a Career Fair in conjunction with the semi-annual national meetings. These typically occur in August and March. Visit the ACS website to get more information. The ACS has other career tools and job listings that are only available to ACS members.
- The Michigan State Police (MSP) hire civilians to serve as Forensic Scientists. Typically, a major in Forensic Science or a natural science is expected. Information about MSP Forensic Scientists and where to find vacancies can be found by visiting the MSP website.
Chemistry tutors are generally in demand. There are on-campus positions available through the Holman Success Center to serve as a supplemental instructor for a chemistry course or to do peer tutoring (contact the Holman Success Center at 487-1849 or [email protected]). There are also off-campus tutoring opportunities which can be arranged individually or via companies that hire and coordinate tutors. The EMU Chemistry Department does not have any connection with any of these companies. Occasionally, we are contacted by them to provide their contact information to potentially interested students and, unless we have heard of problems, we will post it. One such company is FrogTutoring. They do in-home tutoring in the Detroit area.
Scribe America is looking to recruit students to work as part-time, full-time, day shift and night shift scribes. The scribe will work side by side with physicians assisting with documentation for each patient evaluated by the doctor. It is an opportunity for any student interested in medicine to gain first-hand experience following a physician. Visit their website for more information.
Student Help Positions
Most of the hiring for student help positions is done before the start of Fall semester. However, there may be the rare opportunity for hiring before Winter semester or at other times, as needed. At this time, the majority of the student employment positions are laboratory preparation assistants, with a smaller number of secretarial assistants.