The David A. Berry Excellence in Organic Chemistry/Biochemistry Endowed Scholarship
This scholarship is intended for graduate students in chemistry who
- have completed at least three semesters (summer counts) of graduate study in chemistry.
- are specializing in organic chemistry or biochemistry.
- have demonstrated excellence in research, teaching, and classroom performance.
David A. Berry
This scholarship was set up by Lana Berry to commemorate Dave's love of chemistry, problem solving, education, entrepreneurial spirit and generosity.
Dave received his Bachelor's and Master's Degrees from EMU. He was the recipient of the Bert W. Peet Scholarship Award, given to the outstanding graduating chemistry major, in 1976. He began his professional career at Warner Lambert/Parke-Davis in the Anti-Cancer group. With a continuing desire to achieve, he earned his Ph.D. in Medicinal Chemistry from the University of Michigan in 1988.
After receiving his Ph.D., he embarked on his ultimate learning experience, founding Berry & Associates Inc. Dave rolled up his sleeves and with his own hands literally built the building for Berry & Associates laboratories. Dave's business model was simple: provide high quality materials at a fair price and in a timely manner. As a result of his perseverance and stellar work ethic, he nurtured Berry & Associates from a one-man business into a successful and experienced Research, Development and Production company.
A firm believer in the power of education, Dave was a highly regarded mentor among his colleagues and customers. he was generous of his knowledge and time with those seeking guidance on high school or college chemistry projects. Dave maintained a special connection with his alma mater EMU, where he contributed to and faithfully attended the Annual Chemistry Banquet designed to celebrate and recognize student accomplishments.
Those who interacted with Dave, both personally and professionally admired a range of his traits, describing him as:
- A man of honesty, integrity, kindness and sincerity.
- A man who ALWAYS took the time to do it right.
- A man who did not shy away from standing up for what he believed in.
- A man who led by example, giving his all to each and every thing he did.
- A man of great passion whose life affected the lives of those around him.
Dave was able to focus some of his energies elsewhere. A major joy and constant project was the design and upkeep of his waterscape and pond. He saw and loved things in nature most never even noticed. He enjoyed competitive sports such as softball, basketball, golf, sailing as well as physical fitness. He loved and raised numerous Welch Corgi dogs, delighting in their different personalities and traits.
Dave unexpectedly died on July 1, 2011 from injuries sustained in a bicycle accident. His memory and legacy will live on in so many ways.
- 2022 - Kai-Ling Coleman; Jacob Dunckel
- 20121 - Sarah Atali
- 2020 - Sadaf Dorandish
- 2019 - Ray Kemmer
- 2018 - Robert Muterspaugh
- 2017 - Brandon Iwaniec
- 2016 - Brandie Yambrosic
- 2015 - Joshua Hunt
- 2014 - Sarah J. Burke
- 2013 - Danielle St. Germaine
- 2012 -Mayank Srivastava