Eastern Michigan University

COVID-19 Update: The latest news and guidance for students, faculty and staff.

direct edit

Co-op, Internships, and Summer Research Programs

What is Co-op?

Cooperative Education allows you to integrate what you're learning with professional experience. While working with an employer, you will also earn course credit. Our primary objective is your professional development. Career Services Center staff and academic departments work closely with employers to develop work assignments related to your program. All of this adds up to you earning money, experience and college credit at the same time. Once you are eligible, submit your application materials.

Co-op Details

How to apply for co-op:  Co-op application packets and additional information are available at any of the Career Services Center offices. Pick up a packet and schedule an appointment with a co-op coordinator.

Am I Eligible:  The following requirements are standard for co-op eligibility:

   - Completion of 55 semester hours (COB and CHHS allow 2nd semester sophomores in selected majors)
   - Minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA for most majors (students on academic probation are not eligible)
   - Faculty sponsor recommendation (form included in application packet)

The Chemistry co-op adviser is Dr. Snyder.

Additional information about co-op can be found at the career development center website.

External Sites which Periodically Post Co-op or Intern Positions

The American Chemical Society hosts the "Get Experience" web exchange allows undergrads to search for research experiences, internships, co-ops, and other chemistry-related opportunities.

NSF International (which has a facility in Ann Arbor) has a very nice website where they post open positions, including chemistry intern positions.  Click on this link to go to the NSF website.  If you click on "Search for Jobs" and then select "Ann Arbor, MI, US" and then click on the Search box, you can see a list of positions that are open locally.

Cayman Chemical (which has its main facility in Ann Arbor) has a very nice website where they post open positions, including chemistry intern positions.  Click on this link to go to the Career Opportunities page of the Cayman website.  If you click on "View All Job Opportunities" you can see if any internship positions are listed.  Ordinarily, such positions have "internship" in the job title and the type of position is listed as "Intern".

Lycera, a biopharmaceutical company located in Ann Arbor, is always looking for students interested in pursuing internships with them.  Click here to go to their website where they provide information about the company and the internship application process.

The US Government posts full-time, part-time, and intern positions.  This link will take you to the USAJOBS website (with the default search keyword specifies as Chemist).  You can narrow the search to Chemistry positions by choosing the Job Category to be "Physical Science" and then for the Occupational Series select "Chemistry".  Of course, you can search other areas as your interest and experience dictates.

The Michigan State Police (MSP) will occasionally have unpaid intern positions available for college students planning careers in forensic science.  Information about being a MSP forensic scientist is available at their website.  The application procedure for an internship can be found on a different page of the MSP website, found here.

Summer Research Programs

These are typically 10-12 week summer paid research positions for undergraduate students.  Information about these programs typically becomes available in December with application deadlines sometime between February 1 and Mid-March each year.

**One important source of summer internships is the National Science Foundation (NSF). The Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program supports active research participation by undergraduate students at numerous universities throughout the U.S.  Participants must be U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, or permanent residents of the United States.  Students do not apply to NSF to participate in REU activities. Students apply directly to REU Sites or to NSF-funded investigators who receive REU Supplements. For more information, or to search the directory of active REU Sites, go to https://www.nsf.gov/crssprgm/reu/.

**The American Chemical Society's "Get Experience" web exchange has links to REU sites and other summer research experiences (as well as internships, co-ops, and other chemistry-related opportunities).

For those with interests in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology:

**The American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB) has compiled a list of Summer Program Links.

For those with interests in the Health Professions:

**The Rochester Institute of Technology has compiled an extensive list of Co-op/internships and Summer Research Opportunities in Biomedical Research and for Pre-med students.  The link to their site is https://people.rit.edu/gtfsbi/Symp/summer.htm

For those with interests in the Health Fields and will be graduating before Summer:

**The National Institutes of Health (NIH) Postbac IRTA program (CRTA, Cancer Research Training Award, in the National Cancer Institute) provides recent college graduates who are planning to apply to graduate or professional (medical/dental/pharmacy) school an opportunity to spend one or two years performing full-time research at the NIH.  Follow this link to their website for information about stipends, deadlines, and program locations (which include Detroit).


The Department of Chemistry is part of the College of Arts & Sciences, 214 Pray-Harrold