Eastern Michigan University
direct edit

Graduate Students

Dr. Tim Brewer You should contact our graduate adviser, Dr. Brewer, for more information. The information on this page is specifically for undergraduate students. There is some information about our graduate program available on our Programs & Courses page. A list of faculty research interests is provided on the Research Opportunities page. You can also click on the Facilities page to see pictures of the department.  

Information for all New Chemistry/Biochemistry Students

Synthetic Research LabWelcome to the EMU Chemistry Department.  We are glad that you joining our program (or at least thinking about it).  We like to think of ourselves as having all of the opportunities associated with a large department combined with the individual attention available in a small department.  To a large extent, the amount of interaction that you have with the faculty and other students is up to you.  Our doors are usually open and we'd like to get to know you, but it is up to you how much advantage you take of the opportunity.

  • Accreditation.  While there is no accrediting body for college chemistry programs, the American Chemical Society (ACS), through its Committee on Professional Training, approves programs that meet its rigorous standards.  We are an ACS-approved program.  Students who complete a Professional-level major (with the appropriate electives) are eligible to receive an ACS-certified degree.
  • Majors.  We offer majors and minors in both Chemistry and Biochemistry.  Each major is offered at two different levels.  The general level requires fewer advanced electives and lower math and physics prerequisites.  More information about selecting a specific major is available on the Programs & Courses page of our website.
  • Research.  Most Chemistry/Biochemistry majors (and some minors) participate in undergraduate research.  While usually students do not begin research until their junior or senior year, we have some sophomore and even an occasional freshman working in the lab.  Information about research is found on our Research Opportunities page.
  • Advising.  We strongly encourage you to make contact with a departmental adviser.Dr. Tim Friebe  Sooner is always better than later.  We have a list of departmental advisers posted on our Advising page, so that you can choose someone with expertise in your area of interest.  If you are not sure, contact the undergraduate advising coordinator, Dr. Friebe, and he will help you find an adviser (or advise you himself).  The Advising page also contains a lot of other useful information for those who choose to self-advise.  However, we strongly recommend meeting with an adviser early and often.
  • Scholarships.  We have a number of scholarships that are awarded to top students each year.  Most scholarships are based upon a student's performance in Chemistry at EMU.  However, each year we give out a limited number of Brundage Scholarships to incoming freshmen who plan to major in Chemistry or Biochemistry.  The application deadline for Brundage scholarships is April 30.  More information and application forms can be found on our Scholarships page.  There are also university-wide scholarships available for new or transfer students through the Financial Aid Office.
  • Facilities CMBB Research Lab Our facilities are excellent.  An addition was built in 2009-2010 and, subsequently,  our existing building was completely gutted and renovated (so that it looks new).  This was completed before the start of Fall 2012.  Click on the Facilities link from the left-hand menu (or the picture at the right) to see more pictures of the Science Complex.
  • Employment Opportunities.  Our graduates routinely on to graduate schools (University of Michigan, Wayne State, Michigan State, most other Big Ten schools, ...), professional schools (medical, dental, pharmacy), or to careers in industry.  There are a wide variety of options available to Chemistry majors.  The American Chemical Society website has a nice section describing the career areas available for Chemistry majors.

Information Specifically for Transfer Students

If you have already transferred to EMU, welcome!  If you are thinking about transferring to EMU, we are glad you are thinking of us and we want to convince you to do so.

  • Transferring Courses.  Transfer students confront a unique set of issues.  Most importantly, you probably want to know which of your completed courses transfer to EMU and which courses you should be taking next.  EMU's website has a lot of good information about transferring credits to EMU.  If you go to the Transfer Students section of the EMU Admissions website there are specific links for students from nearby community colleges and a link to a page with a lot of information about transferring credit, including a Transfer Equivalency tool with course equivalency information for specific courses at many Michigan schools (and a few from Ohio).
  • Advising.  Assuming you are interested in pursuing a major or minor in either Chemistry or Biochemistry, you may want to check out our department's Advising page or our webpage on Programs and Courses.  They contain a lot of useful information about planning your schedule.  Regardless, WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT NEW TRANSFER STUDENTS CONTACT A DEPARTMENTAL ADVISER BEFORE STARTING CLASSES to make sure that you register for the proper courses.  (This is in addition to the advising you receive from the University Advising Center.)  The University advisers usually do a good job, but they can't know each department's programs as well as the faculty within the department.  We want you to start off on the right track and not repeat courses that you have already taken or register for courses for which you are not prepared to succeed.  We will exchange emails, talk on the phone, or set up an appointment for you to come by and talk in person.

WE ARE HAPPY TO TALK TO YOU EVEN BEFORE YOU TRANSFER TO EMU in order to help you plan what courses you should take at your current school to make the transition to EMU as smooth as possible.

Depending upon your desired major/minor at EMU, you can contact the appropriate listed adviser on our Advising page.  If your situation is at all unusual or you are not sure exactly who to contact, you can send an email to chem_ug_advising@emich.edu.  This account is routinely monitored by both the Undergraduate Advising Coordinator and the Head of the Chemistry Department and so, generally, the response is quicker (individual contact information is on our home page).

The Department of Chemistry is part of the College of Arts & Sciences, 214 Pray-Harrold