Portfolio Forms and Guidelines for 2019 Application cycle
Forms for 2019 Applicants
Required Portfolio Content
Please note: Your portfolio should be submitted in a one-inch binder. Portfolios should be professional, neat and organized and must include all required components in order to be eligible for a full review. Should an incomplete portfolio be submitted it would not be reviewed. Please do not include extra documents beyond what is listed. Applications can be submitted as early as May of the application year and will not be accepted after August 1 at 5 p.m. If mailing a portfolio, allow sufficient time for the receipt of this packet by August 1. Write "OT Application Portfolio" to the left of the address on the front of the envelope. An administration fee of $35 is due upon portfolio submission and can be paid via check or money order to the EMU OT program or through the online link (coming in May).
Any questions you have regarding content required for the portfolio will be addressed at the group information sessions.
- Identification page: Include your name, address, phone, EMU student identification number (if applicable), email and the date you submitted the portfolio. In addition, be sure your first and last names are on the spine of the portfolio.
- Table of contents and/or tabbed page separators
Include official sealed transcripts from all previous coursework taken at other colleges and universities. We will accept an unofficial transcript from EMU only.
Grades in pre-admission courses:
- Pre-admission courses submitted for application consideration should be identified in a table including the name/number of the course, the semester/year of completion and the name of the College or University where the course was completed.
- All pre-admission courses from outside universities and colleges must be pre-approved via email by the OT intent advisor prior to submission of your portfolio. This pre-approval process can be time consuming so please plan accordingly. Please email the OT intent advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A grade of B- (or 2.7) or higher is required for all pre-admission courses and all courses must be fully complete by the August 1 application deadline.
Helpful reminders: Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 at the time of application. This GPA will be calculated from the last 60-semester/90 quarter units of course work. It is the expectation that the average successful applicant has a GPA much higher than 3.0. Please visit the application process and pre-admission coursework for detailed class descriptions.
- Results of the GRE General Test. Results should be sent to Eastern Michigan University and a copy of the results placed in the portfolio. GRE test results are accepted if taken within three years of an applicant's date of application.
- Applicants must submit three reference forms:
- One of your reference forms must be academic; i.e., from a person who has had you in a college classroom setting.
- One of reference forms must be professional, such as a former or current employer, colleague or supervisor.
- The final reference form can be another academic or professional reference or it can be a personal reference. Each reference must include the credentials and contact information of the individual completing the reference. All reference forms must be completed within the three years prior to application. There is no specific requirement regarding the credentials or background of the individuals who supply the letters of reference. We are recommending you obtain references from individuals who can provide insight into your abilities and qualities that would make you a good fit for EMU’s OT program.
A minimum of 20 hours of volunteering or observation with OT(s) in at least two different settings must be completed prior to the application deadline. All OT volunteer/observation hours must be completed within the three years prior to the applicant's date of application.
The application form provides information on an applicant's previous and current life experiences, including but not limited to work, volunteer and community engagement.
Please submit portfolios to:
School of Health Sciences
Eastern Michigan University
313 Marshall Bldg
Ypsilanti, MI 48197
Following the initial review of the portfolio, selected applicants will be asked to complete an interview. The final 38 applicants will be chosen by the Admissions Committee after portfolio reviews and interviews have been fully completed.
Portfolios which have not been accepted for the January start date of the program can be picked up from the OT Intent Advisor beginning November 1 through April 1. Any portfolios not picked up by April 1 of the following year will be disposed of unless other arrangements have been made.