- Graduate Certificate, Women's and Gender Studies, Eastern Michigan University, 2015
- Ph.D., Clinical Social Work, New York University, 2007
- Graduate Certificate, Advanced Clinical Social Work Practice, New York University, 1996
- MSW, Smith College School for Social Work, Northampton, MA, 1990
- BA, Psychology, Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts, North Adams, MA, 1988
Yvette also works in the Women's and Gender Studies Department as well as the School of Social Work.
- Colón, Y. (in press). Cultural aspects of care. In T. Altillo, M. L. Leimena, and. Sumser (Eds.). Palliative social work: A practical guide for primary health social workers. New York: NY: Oxford University Press.
- Colón, Y., and Wladkowski, W. (In press). End-of-life care. In S. Gehlert and T. Arthur (Eds.). Handbook of Health Social Work, 3rd Ed. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley and Sons.
- Kennedy, V., Smolinski, K.M., Colón, Y., and Zabora, J. (2015). Educating and training professional social workers in psycho-oncology. In J.C. Holland, W.S. Breitbart, P.N. Butow, P.B. Jacobson, M.J. Loscalzo, and R. McCorkle (Eds.), Psycho-oncology, 3rd Edition. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Colón, Y. (2015). Working with sociocultural and economic diversity. In G. Christ, C. Messner, and L. Behar (Eds.), Handbook of Oncology Social Work. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Colón, Y. (2014). Aging: The lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender experience. In E. Krajewksi-Jaime (Ed.), Aging: Ethnicity and Gender Issues. Champaign, IL: Common Ground Publishing.
- Colón, Y., and Avnet, M.S. (2014). Medical hypnotherapy for pain management. Journal of Pain & Palliative Care Pharmacotherapy, 28(2), 174–176.
- Colón, Y. (2013). Searching for pain information, education, and support on the Internet. Journal of Pain & Palliative Care Pharmacotherapy, 27(1), 1536–0539.
- Colón, Y. (2011). End of life care. In S. Gehlert and T. Arthur (Eds.), Handbook of Health Social Work, 2nd Ed. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley and Sons.
- Colón, Y., and Stern, S. (2011). Online counseling groups. In Kraus, Stricker and Speyer (Eds.), Online Counseling: A Handbook for Mental Health Professionals, 2nd Ed., San Diego: Academic Press/Elsevier.
- SWRK 200 Human Diversity and Social Justice
- SWRK 315 Theoretical Bases for Social Work Practice
- SWRK 408 Generalist Social Work Practice with Individuals and Families
- SWRK 450/525 Social Work Practice with Women and Girls
- SWRK-WGST 462/562 Practice Issues with Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Persons
- SWRK 506 Human Behavior in the Social Environment: Individuals and Families
- SWRK 515 Generalist Social Work Practice with Families
- SWRK 553 Ethnicity and Gender Issues Among the Aged
- SWRK 592 Social Work Practice in Integrative Health Care
- SWRK 643 Families in the Social Environment
Experience in provision of bilingual social work services in a variety of nonprofit settings, including:
Health Disparities, Education, Awareness, Research and Training Consortium, 2017–present, member, Health Equity Scholars and Alumni Network
- Journal of Pain and Palliative Care Pharmacotherapy, 2008–present, editorial board member
- Journal of Social Work in End-of-Life and Palliative Care, 2014–present, editorial board member
- National Association of Social Workers, 2015–present, appointed member, National Committee on Racial and Ethnic Diversity
- National Cancer Institute, 2015–present, research advocate, Office of Advocacy Relations
- Pain Community, 2012–present, member, board of directors
- VocaliD, 2016–present, speech donor
- Smith College Studies in Social Work, 2017–present, editorial board member
- VocaliD, 2016–present, human voice donor
Areas of Interest/Practice Experience
- Services to families and children
- Services to older adults
- Pain management
- Psychosocial oncology
- End-of-life social work practice
- LGBT affirmative practice
- Technology-based social work services
- 2007–present, Licensed Master’s Social Worker, Clinical and Macro, Michigan
- 2001–present, Board Certified Diplomate in Clinical Social Work, American Board of Examiners in Clinical Social Work
- 1994–present, Academy of Certified Social Workers, National Association of Social Workers
- 2018–present, Association of Latina and Latino Educators
- 1990–present, Association of Oncology/Social Work
- 2018 Eastern Michigan University LGBT Resource Center LGBT Role Model and Mentor
- 2017 American Cancer Society Quality of Life in Cancer Care Award
- 2009 Leadership in Oncology Social Work Award, Association of Oncology Social Work
- 2007 Distinguished Practitioner and Fellow, National Academies of Practice in Social Work