Thank you for your interest in EMU's Master of Social Work (MSW) Program. Applications for Fall 2023 opened on September 7, 2023.
If you are interested in applying for Fall 2024 you are strongly encouraged to attend an information session where you will learn about the program, the application process and meet current students and instructors. If you have any questions or concerns please email [email protected].
Information Session dates and how to sign up:
- Saturday, October 14, 2023 10 a.m. – noon
- Saturday, November 11, 2023 10 a.m. – noon
- Saturday, January 13, 2024 10 a.m. – noon
- Thursday, January 25, 2024 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Saturday, February 10, 2024, 10 a.m. – noon
- Saturday, March 9, 2024, 10 a.m. - noon
- Saturday, April 13, 2024, 10 a.m. – noon
Sign up to attend an Information Session. Email [email protected] with questions.
- Demonstrated commitment to the EMU School of Social Work mission statement.
- Ability to write at a Graduate School level.
- An overall undergraduate GPA of 2.75 or higher (note: this is higher than the minimum GPA required by the EMU Graduate School).
- Completion of a Baccalaureate degree by the date of beginning the program.
- Strong professional support letters of recommendation.
Application process and procedures
The priority deadline for applications to the MSW program is December 1 and applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. It is to your benefit to submit your application and supporting materials as early as possible. Applications will be accepted until the program is full.
Social Work CAS Application
CAS is an online admissions software that allows you to apply to multiple social work programs. Once you have created an account, you will be prompted to choose a program (social work) and concentration. When you have added Eastern Michigan University to your list of applicant schools, click on the My application link at the top of the page. You will see four “buttons” that you will need to use to complete your application.
- Personal Information: This includes contact information as well as demographic information.
- Academic Information: Official transcripts from your degree granting institution will be required.
- Supporting Information:
- References: You will identify and submit information for three professional references. These references will receive an email and instructions on how to complete a form and upload a supporting letter.
- Experience: You will enter your history of paid and volunteer experience, including all internships, practicums, or other experiences (including experiences outside of social work).
- Program Materials: The personal statement will be uploaded in this section. This is in essay format, double-spaced, and 4 - 5 pages in length. The statement will be used as a reflection of your writing skills, your ability to reflect and learn from your experiences, and as a narrative of your background, interests, and goals. You must be the sole author of this statement, but others may provide proofreading assistance and feedback. Your personal statement should address all of the following:
- Discuss how your personal, academic, and past human services experiences have prepared you to engage in both graduate studies and empowerment-oriented practice with vulnerable, oppressed, underserved, and marginalized individuals, communities, and organizations in your concentration of interest (Families & Children, Health & Aging, or Mental Health and Substance Use Recovery).
- As stated in our School’s mission, the MSW program is “grounded in the social work profession’s values and ethics” and seeks to prepare graduates to advance the following:
- Critical thinking skills to respond to the increasingly complex challenges that impact our communities and promote social and economic justice
- Equitable practices that are culturally responsive, anti-racist, and inclusive of all identities
- Leadership skills in pursuit of social change
- Please describe how you see yourself connecting with this mission as a graduate student and professional social worker.
- Describe a situation where your attitudes about a particular stigmatized population were challenged and what you learned from that experience. In what ways are you ready to have your attitudes and social stereotypes be further challenged within an educational setting?
The review process is time intensive. Because we do not want to rush the process arbitrarily or unfairly, we cannot guarantee a specific date for a decision on your application. You will be notified by email through the CAS system with the results of your application as well as providing you with information about next steps if you gain acceptance into the program.
The MSW Program can be contacted at [email protected].