Thank you for your interest in EMU's Master of Social Work (MSW) Program. Applications are being accepted and a final deadline has not been set.
If you are interested in applying to our MSW Program for Fall 2019, please watch this webinar to learn more about our program and the application process. After watching the webinar, if you have questions, please contact Julie Harkema at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You'll apply in ApplyEMU through the College of Health and Human Services. In addition to the common application and transcripts, you must submit:
- An employment and voluntarism form [PDF].
- Three professional recommendations. Recommenders will receive instructions via email and upload their form and narrative letter online Please make sure that your recommenders know that they need to upload both pieces (form and letter).
- A specific personal statement that speaks to your readiness for graduate studies and connection to our mission. Your personal statement will be evaluated as a reflection of your writing skills, your ability to reflect and learn from your experiences, and as a narrative of your background, interests and goals. You must be the sole author of this statement, but others may provide proofreading assistance and feedback. Your social work personal statement must be double-spaced and four to five pages in length. Within your personal statement, please address the following:
- Why are you a "good fit" with the mission of EMU's MSW program?
- In our society there are many types of privilege. Identify and discuss ways in your life in which you have been in a position of privilege, and how it might affect your work as a social worker.
- Discuss your reasons for why you selected your specific concentration (i.e., mental illness/chemical dependency, families and children or services to the aging).
- What are your mission-related career interests and post-graduation plans?
- Describe a situation where your attitudes about a particular stigmatized population (e.g., LGBTQ, people of color, persons in poverty, etc.) were challenged, and what you learned from that experience.
- In what ways are you ready to have your attitudes and social stereotypes be further challenged within an educational setting?
- What attracts you to the MSW program at Eastern Michigan University?
Note: You must complete the personal statement according to the requirements of the School of Social Work
Apply to the MSW Program
Students must apply to both the EMU Graduate School and the MSW Program. To apply online to the Graduate Program, please complete the Graduate School online application.
Our MSW program is designed for working professionals, with classes on weekday evenings and Saturdays to accommodate the schedules of students who also work full-time in the human services field.
We offer three advanced concentrations for professional social work practice:
- Child and Family Services
- Mental Illness and Chemical Dependency Services
- Services to the Aging
All new students begin in the Fall semester. Priority deadline for applications is December 1.
Attend an Information Session Before Applying
To apply to the MSW Program, begin by attending an information session. Information sessions are held on the second Saturday of September, October, November, December and January from 10 a.m. to noon and and an evening session on Thursday, October 26 at 6 p.m. in the Marshall Building on the EMU campus.
Contact the MSW Program at email@example.com or 734.487.6892.