Eastern Michigan University logo

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the requirements for admission to the MSW program?

The requirements for admission to the MSW program are a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university and an overall undergraduate GPA of 2.75. You may apply if you will complete your bachelor’s degree before September.

My undergraduate GPA is below 2.75. Does this mean I will not be considered for the program?

If your undergraduate GPA falls below 2.75, you may still be considered for admission. A limited number of exceptional applicants who have been working in social work for a substantial amount of time may be considered for conditional admission.

Conditions include:

  • Your undergraduate GPA was higher in the final two years of study (last 60 credits) than in the first two years.
  • Your GPA is at least 3.0 earned in graduate-level course work that you have taken.
  • Your work experience, letters of recommendation and personal statement are excellent and highly congruent with the mission of our program.
  • You have demonstrated motivation and readiness for graduate education during a personal interview.
  • You demonstrate graduate level writing skills during a writing exercise conducted at an on-site meeting.
  • You earn a GPA of at least 3.0 in a designated and approved plan of study in the first year of the program in order to gain full admission.
I’ve worked in the social work field for many years but don’t have a BSW. Can I be considered for Advanced Standing?

No. The Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) requires that Schools grant advance standing only to students who have earned a Bachelor degree in Social Work.

Can I attend the program full-time?

EMU’s MSW program is designed to be a part-time program. In exceptional cases students may be considered for full-time status, allowing them to complete their program in one year (for Advanced Standing) or two years (for Full program). Students may apply for full-time status once they are accepted to the program; evidence of employment less than 20 hours a week will be required for consideration.

Can I take classes in the Detroit area?

Classes are held primarily on EMU’s campus in Ypsilanti. Occasionally, classes may be held in Livonia or Detroit; this arrangement may vary by semester and class.

Can I earn my degree attending class only on the weekends?

No. Classes are offered during the week, and many are available on Saturdays; this arrangement may vary by semester and class.

Do you offer classes during the day?

EMU’s MSW program is designed for students who are working. Classes begin at 5:30 pm during the week. Many classes are offered on Saturday during the daytime.

I want to talk with an advisor before I apply to the program. Who should I contact?

We recommend that you attend one of the Information Sessions, which are held on the second Saturday of September, October, November, December and January, in the Marshall Building on EMU’s campus. You may also email the program at msw.program@emich.edu.

Can I start the MSW program in the Winter or Spring/Summer term?

EMU’s MSW program formally begins in the Fall of every year. Once accepted to the program, you may request admission for the Summer term in order to take electives prior to formally beginning the program in the Fall.

Can I take classes before I am accepted into the MSW program?

You may take electives before starting or being accepted into the MSW program. To do so, submit a graduate application as a non-degree student. Please note: Taking classes as a non-degree student does not guarantee acceptance into the MSW program, nor are non-degree classes covered by financial aid.

How much does the program cost?

Tuition costs are based on credit hours, and include fees and other costs. Visit the Tuition Calculator website to get an estimated cost of tuition.

How do I learn more about financial aid?

Contact the Graduate School at 734.487.0042 or visit their website.

Is it necessary to take the GRE (Graduate Record Examination) test?

No. EMU's MSW program does not require the GRE.

How do I apply to the MSW Program?

The best way to apply is to first attend an information session and then you will apply online at Graduate School website.

How do I request transcripts?

Contact your previous learning institutions/colleges/universities and ask them to send an official transcript to EMU. They may have paperwork to be completed, or a fee to be paid. We cannot process your application without receiving all transcripts from every institution you have attended.

Contact Us: School of Social Work | 317 Everett L. Marshall Building | Ypsilanti, MI 48197 | Tel.: 734.487.0393 | Fax: 734.487.6832

Explore the College's Schools: Health Sciences | Health Promotion & Human Performance | Nursing | Social Work