Eastern Michigan University logo

Frequently Asked Questions


What are the BSW degree requirements?

There are 3 required areas for a BSW: Liberal Arts Requirements, Pre-Social Work Requirements and Social Work Requirements. These requirements are listed in the catalog site.

Where can I do the 40 hours of volunteer work that the School of Social Work requires?

Any human service setting that works with or on behalf of vulnerable, underserved people who are the targets of discrimination, stigma, disempowerment, oppression and other forms of injustice. Social work volunteer opportunities.

When can I do the 40 hours of volunteer work?

Anytime prior to being moved into the social work major. Students who have not completed their 40 hours prior to the start of their 300 level SWRK courses will be dropped from all 300 level SWRK courses at the beginning of the semester.

What is Social Work 251 and what does it have to do with moving into my major?

SWRK 251 is the 1-credit social work self assessment and development course. It is 1 credit. In this course you will review the requirements to be moved into the major, complete the necessary paper work and you will schedule an appointment with an advisor to develop your plan of study. You will also complete a personal statement or essay.

What is Social Work 350L and is there a lot of time required of me outside the classroom?

SWRK 350L, Generalist Social Work Practice Organizations and Communities, is the social work learning beyond the classroom course. This course is supported by a service-learning experiential component and involves 40 hours of work in the community outside of the classroom. Please make sure you have made arrangements with your school/work/person

Does 300 level course work need to be completed before I can start 400 level course work?

Yes, with the exception of SWRK 350L which may be taken concurrently with 408 and 409. SWRK 430 can be taken anytime once in the major.

Can I get academic or field placement credit for my life experience or work history?

No.  The Council on Social Work Education precludes any accredited social work program from awarding academic credit for life experience or work history.

Can I walk in the April graduation if I will not be completing my course work until August?

Yes, under the following conditions:

  1. You have 12 or fewer credits to complete
  2. You are registered for the last credits you need to graduate
  3. You meet all minimum GPA requirements (overall, major, minor)
  4. You may wear honors tassel if CURRENT cumulative GPA is 3.70 or higher, OR you may wear honors tassel if CURRENT cumulative GPA is 3.50-3.69 AND your grades for winter term are submitted prior to commencement and AND your cumulative GPA will remain at 3.50 or higher
  5. Be advised that if you walk in graduation under these conditions, your name will not appear in the program.

Best practices

How often should I meet with my advisor?

This depends upon how confident you are in knowing what the requirements are and what classes you need. It is a good idea to touch base once a semester with an advisor prior to registration.

How can I assure that I get into the classes I need?

The earlier you register the better chance you have of getting the classes you need and the date/times that work best for you. The School of Social Work tries hard to meet student demand for courses. However, early planning always helps.

When should I complete my General Education requirements?

It is best to complete your General Education requirements early so that you can concentrate on your Social Work major requirements the last two years.

Are drop-in times available for students with BSW advising questions?

Yes, Drop in hours for the BSW program are posted at 317 Marshall. If you have specific questions please contact the BSW Department at devoy@emich.edu.

Transfer information

What is a MACRAO Stamp?

EMU participates in the Michigan Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (MACRAO) agreement, which facilitates the transfer of general education credit from Michigan community colleges to senior colleges and universities. A MACRAO stamp certifies that you've completed required general education coursework at a participating community college.

What is an Articulation Agreement?

Articulation agreements between community colleges and senior colleges/universities coordinate the curriculum requirements for associate and bachelor's degrees in a program area. The EMU School of Social Work has articulation agreements with the following community colleges:

  • Jackson Community College
  • Monroe Community College
  • Oakland Community College
  • Schoolcraft College
  • Washtenaw Community College
  • Wayne County Community College District

Contact Us: School of Social Work | 317 Everett L. Marshall Building | Ypsilanti, MI 48197 | Tel.: 734.487.0393 | Fax: 734.487.6832

Explore the College's Schools: Health Sciences | Health Promotion & Human Performance | Nursing | Social Work