Sadaf R. Ali is a former television and radio news reporter and has worked for mainstream and ethnic media in Ohio and Michigan. Sadaf earned her MA in Broadcast Journalism from Columbia College-Chicago in 2002, examining capital punishment and the ensuing moratorium in Illinois. She has a Ph.D. (2014) in Communication from the Department of Communication at Wayne State University focusing on risk/crisis information, securitization, race and audience attitudes towards messages originating from traditional and social media sources. Sadaf is a quantitative researcher, who favors content analysis and experimental design as her methodologies of choice.
- Ph.D., Communication, emphasis in Media Studies, Wayne State University, 2014
- MA, Journalism, emphasis in Broadcast, Columbia College-Chicago, 2002
- BA, English, emphasis in Non-fiction Writing, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2000
- CTAT 130 Introduction to Electronic Media
- CTAT 141 Audio/Video Production for non-Majors
- CTAT 279 Special Topics: Mobile Technology in Developing Countries
- CTAT 334 Radio/Television News Writing
- CTAT 336 International Media Systems
- CTAT 446 Contemporary Problems in Electronic Media
Publications and Presentations
- Ali, S. and Fahmy, F. (2012) Gatekeeping & Citizen Journalism: The use of social media during the recent uprisings in Iran, Egypt, and Libya. Media, War & Conflict.
- Ali, S. and Fahmy, S. (2012). The icon of the Egyptian revolution: Using social media in the toppling of a Mideast Government. In Ralph Berenger (Eds.), Social Media Go to War—Civil Unrest, Rebellion and Revolution in the Age of Twitter. Marquette Books LLC.
- Ali, S., James, D. and Vultee, F. (2013). Strike a pose: Comparing Associated Press and UNICEF visual representations of the children of Darfur. African Conflict and Peacebuilding Review (ACPR).
- Vultee, F., Ali, S., Stover, C. and Vultee, D. (2014). Searching, sharing, acting: How audiences assess and respond to social media messages about hazards. International Journal of Mass Emergencies and Disasters
- In 2010, Sadaf was part of an Emmy award winning project titled: The MATRIX: Commemorating Walter P. Reuther, Union Activist.
- Local 4 News Story: Defenders: Hidden camera reveals school cheaters
- National Communication Association
- International Communication Association
- Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication
- Broadcast Education Association