James E. Berry
Professor, Educational Leadership
John W. Porter Bldg, Suite 304
Ed.D., Educational Administration, University of Missouri - Columbia
Dr. Berry is a professor in the Department of Leadership & Counseling at Eastern Michigan University. He has served as an assistant principal, principal, assistant superintendent, department head and associate dean. He was an American Council on Education fellow in 2001.
He presently serves as the Executive Director of the National Council of Professors of Educational Administration. NCPEA is the oldest of the two professor organizations that represent professors of educational administration in the U.S. and other countries. In his capacity as NCPEA Executive Director he serves on the National Policy Board for Educational Administration and coordinates the work of the organization. NCPEA publishes two refereed journals, a policy brief, and supports member scholarship through the books that support the field and the profession.
Interests and Expertise
- Assessment and Accountability Systems
- Organizational Change
- Structured Collaboration in K-12
- Systems Change in K-12 and Higher Education
Berry, J. E. (2015). The Expanding Wireless World of Schooling. In F. English & R. M. Papa (Eds.), Sage Guide to Educational Leadership and Management (in press 2015.)
Berry, J. (October 2011). Leading With Twenty-First Century Learning: The Emerging Virtual K-12 Educational Organization. Retrieved from the Connexions Web site: http://cnx.org/content/m41124/1.4/
Berry, J. & Staub, N. (Spring, 2011). Technology pedagogy: Software tools for teaching and learning, Journal of Scholarship & Practice, (8)1, 24-33.
Burke, W., Marx, G., Berry, J. (2010) Maintaining, reframing, and disrupting traditional expectations and outcomes for professional development with critical friends groups. The Teacher Educator, (46)1, 32-52.
Berry, J. E. & Marx, G. (Fall, 2010). Adapting to the Pedagogy of Technology in Educational Administration, Scholar-Practitioner Quarterly, 4(3), 245-255.
- EDLD 514 Organization & Administration of K-12 Schools
- EDLD 515 Instructional Supervision & Program Evaluation
- EDLD 710 Leadership Theory & Change
- EDLD 712 Seminar in Educational Leadership Research
- EDLD 740 Organizational Theory
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- National Council of Professors of Educational Administration
- Michigan Association of Professors of Educational Administration
- American Association of School Administrators
- National Association of Secondary School Principals