About Special Education
The Department of Special Education is one of the largest and most comprehensive special education units in the country. Graduates from the department at Eastern Michigan University have been recognized for their work in the field locally and nationally. They have distinguished themselves as program directors, school superintendents and college instructors. Several of the department's graduates have been named Teacher of the Year in their respective communities.
The Department of Special Education has one of only two Physical and otherwise Health Impaired (POHI) teacher preparation programs in the state; and is one of very few such programs in the nation. The department's faculty and staff are involved in related professional and community endeavors at local, state and national levels.
Reach, teach, and inspire students to lead change in a diverse inclusive society.
We believe that...
- Teaching is our primary responsibility.
- Teaching should be enjoyable.
- Teaching should be conducted with dignity and respect for ourselves and others.
- Teaching should be responsive to real life needs.
- Teaching should be socially responsible.
- Teaching should contribute to the body of knowledge.
- We must strive for excellence and excellence is a goal, not an accomplishment.
- Communication is the essence of productive student-faculty relationships and is central to the teaching-learning process.
- Individual rights and mutual respect are necessary in the educational process.
- Learning is an ongoing, evolutionary process which is life long, and teaching provides direction, not a destination.
We further believe that it is our responsibility to...
- Prepare graduates who can be creative visionaries for the future.
- Prepare graduates to be responsive to real life needs.
- Prepare graduates to utilize state-of-the-art technical skills and knowledge.
- Prepare graduates to engage in professional practices which are ethically and morally defensible.