Ana Claudia Harten
Professor & Director of Speech-Language Pathology Program
128 A Porter
BA Speech-Language Pathology - Universidade Católica de Pernambuco (Brazil)
MA Speech-Language Pathology - Eastern Michigan University
PhD Educational Psychology - University of Texas at Austin
Interests and Expertise
Acquired neurogenic cognitive-communication disorders;Dysphagia;Voice disorders;Research techniques;Multicultural issues in Speech-Language Pathology; aphasia, right-hemisphere damage, TBI, dementia; dysarthria; speech, and swallowing disorders associated with Head and Neck cancer
Franca, M. C., & Harten, A. C. (2016). Pluralistic Education in Speech-Language Pathology: Above and Beyond Didactic Trails. Perspectives of the ASHA Special Interest Groups, December 2016, Vol. 1 (SIG 14).
- Harten, A. C. (2018). Interprofessional Practice to Restore Communication to Tracheotomee and Laryngectomee Patients. Invited speaker at the Michigan Society for Respiratory Care Conference, April, 2018. Dearborn, MI
- Harten, A. C. & Marrin, C. (2017). The Selection Process for Apps in the Field of Speech Language Pathology: A Survey Study. Paper presented at the 2017 American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) Convention, November 2017. Los Angeles, CA.
- Harten, A. C., Franca, M. C., & Pegoraro-Krook, M. I. (2017). Across the Universe of Speech-Language Pathology: International Alliances. Paper presented at the 2017 American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) Convention, November 2017. Los Angeles, CA.
- Harten, A. C., Ximenes, C., & Vilela, M. (2017). Home care Services: Similarities and Differences between Brazil and the United States. Paper presented at the 2017 American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) Convention, November 2017. Los Angeles, CA.
- Harten, A.C., Kellman-Fritz, J., Kret, L., Lewis, C., Lindquist, J., Mortier, T., Myler, L., Peterson, J., Seurynck, K., & Walters, B. (2017). Promoting Communication and Quality of Care through Interprofessional Simulation. Paper presented at the Annual Conference of the Association of Schools of Allied Health Professions, October, 2017. San Antonio, TX.
- Harten, A. C. & Franca, M. C. (2016). The new “Normal”: Preparing Students to Attend the Needs of a Multicultural/Multiracial, and Multilingual Society. Paper presented at the 2016 American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) Convention, November 2016. Philadelphia, PA.
- Harten, A. C., Jenkins, B., & Pate, C. (2016). Promoting Interprofessional Collaboration and Quality of Care: A Standardized Patient Simulation. Paper presented at the at the 2016 American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) Convention, November 2016. Philadelphia, PA.
- Multicultural Issues in Intervention for Communication Disorders
- Voice and Craniofacial Disorders
- Motor Speech Disorders
- Acquired Neurogenic Cognitive-Communication Disorders
- Clinical Internship in Speech-Language Pathology (Healthcare)
- Normal Aging and Health Issues in Speech-Language Pathology
Research2017-2018 EMU Faculty Research Fellowship: Referral Process of ELL Students to Speech Therapy Services: An Investigation of Interprofessional Collaboration between Classroom and ELL Teachers
Professional Memberships and Activities
- Member, Editorial Review Committee of the American Speech-Language Hearing Association SIG 10 Perspectives – Issues in Higher Education
- Member, Editorial Review Committee of the American Speech-Language Hearing Association SIG 17 Perspectives - Global Issues in Communication Sciences and Related Disorders
- Director, EMU Speech-Language Pathology Program
- Member, EMU Aging Studies Program Committee
Licensures and Certifications
- American Speech-Language Hearing Association (2006 - present)
- Michigan Speech-Language Hearing Association
- MI License Speech-Language Pathology (2012 - present)