Associate Professor & Graduate Coordinator for Early Childhood Education
313 T Porter
Ph.D. - Wayne State University
Interests and Expertise
Dr. Beaubien teaches courses in elementary social studies methods, early childhood education and urban education. Her research has also focused on those areas in addition to the history of education. She has received a number of awards since coming to EMU including: New Faculty Research Award - 2007 (EMU); Outstanding Faculty in Classroom Instruction from the Holman Learning Center – 2007 (EMU); Faculty of Excellence Award from the College of Education – 2008 (EMU); Dean's Award for Innovative Teaching College of Education – 2008 (EMU); Invitation to the Eighth R. Freeman Butts Institute on Civic Learning in Teacher Education -2009: Women of Excellence Award- 2012 Eastern Michigan University's Women Center; College Educator of the Year 2012 from the Michigan Council for the Social Studies; Alumni Teaching Excellence Award – 2012 (EMU)and Eastern Michigan University's most prestige's honor, the Ronald W. Collins Distinguished Faculty Teaching I award in 2008.
Dr. Beaubien's research has been published in journals such as Young Children, Social Education, and the Journal of Research of Childhood Education. She has presented at over 50 national conferences and countless state-wide conferences. She serves as a board member for the Poverty and Social Reform Institute and the Waldorf Institute. In addition, Dr. Beaubien sits on the advisory board for High Scope IRB, United Way Early Childhood Advisory Council, and Washtenaw Community College's ECE program. Dr. Beaubien was a teacher in Detroit Public Schools and an administrator in Plymouth-Canton Community schools prior to coming to EMU.
Beaubien, B. (2006) Book Review: Foster Care Odyssey. Journal of Trauma and Loss: Research and Interventions. v6 n1.
Beaubien, B., Tonso, K. (Winter 2007) Elizabeth Cady Stanton's views on Social Justice in Education. Advancing Women in Leadership www.advancingwomen.com
Beaubien, B., (Spring 2007) Elizabeth Cady Stanton's advice to parents. Association for Childhood Education International Focus on Infants and Toddlers (Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 1-8).
Beaubien, B. (2013) The Children's Building. Young Children. National Association for the Education of Young Children. Vol. 68 no.4.
Beaubien, B., Williams, L. (2013) Princess Hair In J. Landsman, R. Simmons, S. Grineski (Eds.) Going Deeper: Conversations about Race and Racism. STERLING, VA: Stylus Press
Williams, L., Beaubien, B. (in press) Supporting Literate Identities in Young African-American Boys. In V.C. Polite., J.E. Davis (Eds.) Manly Deeds and Scholarship: Strategies for Academic and Social Development of Black Males. VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.
- ECE 214 – Child Development
- ECE 307 – Young Children in Peril: Educational Implications
- ECE 343 - Advocacy, Leadership and Policy
- ECE 379 – Social Studies and the Young Learner
- ECE 591 – Developing Creative Early Childhood Professionals
- ECE 600 – History of Early Childhood Education
- ECE 601 – Implementing Curriculum for Children in Crisis
- ECE 602 – Philosophy and Methods of Early Childhood Education
- ECE 604 – Administration and Leadership in Early Childhood Programs
- ECE 607 - Leadership and Professionalism in ECE
- ECE 693 – Seminar (Final Master's Project)
- CURR 308 – Integrated Social Studies Methods
- SOFD 550 – Philosophy and Ethics of Education
- URED 811 - An Exploration of Urban Education: History, Theory, Policy, and Practice
Dr. Beaubien's research is focused on the history of education, urban education and social studies.
Professional Memberships and Affiliations