Professor of Education
- PhD, The University of Iowa (Education, 1999)
- MA, Eastern Michigan University (TESOL, 2013)
- MA, The University of Iowa (Anthropology 1995)
- MA, The University of Iowa (Sociology, 1989
- BA, Winona State University (Communication Theory & Psychology, 1987)
- AA, Rainy River Community College (1984)
Professor Bishop was a Fulbright Professor (2006) on the Faculty of Islamic Studies at the University of Sarajevo and a Visiting Professor (2010) at the Institute of Philology at Sumy State A. S. Makarenko Pedagogical University in Ukraine. He teaches courses in the areas of international & multicultural education, sociology & anthropology of education, philosophy of education, peace education, research methods, social theory, and ESL. His awards include Outstanding Service Award (2013), Top 25 Education Professors in Michigan (2012) and the EMU Alumni Teaching Excellence Award (2008). He is a member of the editorial boards of four journals філософія освіті : Наук часопіс [Philosophical Education: A Research Journal] (Ukraine), Педагогічні науки [Pedagogical Studies] (Ukraine), Educational Studies, and The International Journal of Whole Schooling and reviews submissions for those and other journals including The Bulletin of Education and Research (Pakistan). He has received numerous grants to work with educators in/from Eastern Europe, Inner Asia, South Asia, and Africa.
Interests and Expertise
- Active Pedagogy
- Civic Education
- Democratic Educational Reform
- Emerging Democracies
- ESL/EFL International Global Education
- Language & Culture, Morphology
- Phonology, Policy, Religion, Research Methods
- Socio-Cultural Theory
BISHOP, JOE. 2011. " CLASSROOM DEMOCRACY: INCLUDING EVERYONE AS A MEANS OF REDUCING MASTER-SLAVE RELATIONS, " COMPARATIVE – PEDAGOGICAL STUDIES (Порівняльно - педагогічні студії), 7(1): 28-34.
Bishop, Joe. 2011, "Democracy, Human Rights, and Islam, "Philosophical Sciences: Traditions and Innovations (Філософські Науки :Традиції Та Інновації), 3(2): 205-214.
Bishop, Joe. 2010 (in Ukrainian). "Американська перспектива щодо особистисно - орієнтованої освіти , "філософія освіті : Наук часопіс ("An American Perspective on Person-Oriented Education, " Philosophical Education: A Research Journal), 9(1-2): 124-136.
Lancaster, Vanessa & Joe Bishop. 2013. " Assessing the Potential for Sustainable Education in Uganda through Considering School Choice and Sustainable Community Development. " Presentation at the Comparative & International Education Society annual conference, 10-15 March, New Orleans.
Bishop, Joe. 2012. Supporting Public Democracy: The Case for Free and Open Source Software (F/OSS), presented at the American Educational Studies annual conference, 1-4 November, Seattle.
- Schools for a Diverse & Democratic Society
- Academic ESL Speaking & Listening
- Multicultural and International Education
- Sociology of Education
- Anthropology and Education
- Introduction to Educational Research
- Qualitative & Interpretive Research Methods
- Education, Democracy, and Social Thought
Educational reform in developing countries and emerging/new democracies, active pedagogy, international education
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- American Educational Studies Association
- Comparative & International Education Society
- John Dewey Society for the Study of Education & Culture
- National Council for the Social Studies
- Society for the Study of Symbolic Interaction
- MI & TESOL International