Associate Professor (Department of Teacher Education)
315L Porter (inside the Department of Teacher Education suite, 313 Porter)
- Ph.D., 1998, University of South Carolina
- M.Ed., 1995, University of South Carolina
- M.A., 1993, Eastern Michigan University
- A.B., 1990, University of Michigan
Interests and Expertise
- Educational assessment and evaluation
- Educational research
- Statistical applications in education
- Accreditation and accountability in higher education
- Band, J., Quilter, S., & Miller, G. (2002). The influence of music and inductions on mental imagery: Implications for practitioners of guided imagery and music. Journal of the Association for Music and Imagery, 8, 13-34.
- Gonzalez, A., Holbein, M., & Quilter, S. (2002). The relationship between high school students' goal orientations and perceptions of parental style. Contemporary Educational Psychology, 27, 450-470.
- Quilter, S. (1995). Academic self-concept and the first year college student: A snapshot. Journal of The Freshman Year Experience, 7(1), 39-52.
- Quilter, S. (1999). Assessment literacy for teachers: Making a case for the study of test validity. The Teacher Educator, 34(4), 235-243.
- Quilter, S., Band, J. P., & Miller, G. M. (1999). Measuring mental imagery with visual analogue scales. Journal of Mental Health Counseling, 21(2), 161-172.
- Quilter, S., & Chester, C. (2001). The relationship between Web-based conferencing and instructional outcomes. International Journal of Instructional Media, 28(1), 13-22.
- Quilter, S., & Gallini, J. K. (2000). Inservice teachers' assessment literacy and attitudes toward assessment. The Teacher Educator, 36(2), 115-131.
- Quilter, S., & Weber, R. (2004, April-June). Quality assurance for online teaching in higher education: Considering and identifying best practice in E-learning. International Journal on E-Learning, 3(2), 61-65.
- Gonzalez, A., Quilter, S., & Holbein, M. (2001, April). The relationship between high school students' goal orientations and perceptions of parental style. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Seattle.
- Quilter, S. (1997, March). Students' choices along the way: Some findings from an integrated curriculum project. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Chicago.
- Quilter, S. (2003, April). Knowing and experiencing educational assessment: A survey of inservice teachers. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Chicago.
- Quilter, S. (2017, October). Exploring reliability and validity evidence for a student teaching evaluation instrument. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the MidWestern Educational Research Association, Evanston, IL.
- Quilter, S., & Jose-Kampfner, C. (2003, April). Writing and storytelling in mathematics education: Empowerment for Latino students. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Chicago.
- EDPS 322 - Human Development and Learning
- EDPS 325 - Human Growth and Development
- EDPS 340 - Introduction to Assessment and Evaluation
- EDPS 621 - Statistical Applications in Educational Research
- EDPS 627 - Designing Classroom Assessment
- EDPS 651 - Inferential Statistics
- EDPS 667 - Introduction to Educational Research
- EDPS 677 - Methods in Quantitative Research
- EDST 805 - Quantitative Methods I
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- MidWestern Educational Research Association
- Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation
- Michigan Association of School Boards
- American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education
- National Council on Measurement in Education (past member)
- National Academic Advising Association (past member)
Licensures and Certifications
- Trustee and President, Chelsea School District Board of Education, Chelsea, MI, 2017-2022
- Site Visitor, Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation, 2016-
- Board of Examiners, National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education, 2006-2016
- Program Coordinator, Educational Psychology Program @ EMU, 2017-