Toni Stokes Jones
COE/TED Professor, Learning Technology & Design
Ph.D, Instructional Technology, Wayne State University
Interests and Expertise
I am interested in how educators integrate technology to support teaching and learning; especially, with young children and when using emerging technologies. I am also interested in how university students, especially African American women, access and use technology at home and school.
Brown, D. L., Cowdery, J.D., Jones, T. S., Langford, A., Gammage, C., Jacobs, T. L. (2015). Adolescent knowledge and attitudes related to clinical trials. Clinical Trials: Journal of the Society for Clinical Trials. Available at Sage Pub.
Jones, T. S. (2014). Twitter in the Classroom...Twitter in the Classroom?. Eastern Michigan University Essentials Magazine. (May, 2014).
Jones, T. S. & Copeland, N. (2013). Engaging learners in online communication. 29th Annual Distance Teaching & Learning Conference. 29th Annual Conference on Distance Teaching and Learning Conference Proceedings, pp. 1649-1654.
Spannaus, T. W. & Jones, T. S. (2012). Iris Daniels. In P. A. Ertmer, J. Quinn, & K. D. Glazewski (Eds.), The ID Case Book: Case Studies in Instructional Design, 4th ed., Texas: Pearson Education.
McVey, M. & Jones, T. S. (2011). Perceiving an online advantage: Reflections on the speak up survey. Issues in Education: Preschool through graduate school. (2). 1.
Jones, T. S. & Copeland, N. (2010). Access to technology in the 21st century. In V. C. Polite & E. M. Zamani-Gallagher (Eds.), The state of the African American male in Michigan: A courageous conversation. Lansing, MI: Michigan State University Press.
Jones, T. S. (2008). Integrating smart board technology in the elementary classroom. Michigan Journal of Teacher Educators, (1), 1.
Jones, T. S. (2000). Rapid prototyping methodology in action: A developmental study. Educational Technology Research and Development. (48). 2. 63-80.
2017 Magna Teaching with Technology Conference (October 2017). eLearning and student success: Implementing effective communication strategies.
2017 Chelsea Early Childhood Technology Conference (June 2016). ECE students: Coding to Learn!
2016 Chelsea Early Childhood Technology Conference (June 2016). Social Media and Project Based Learning: An Innovative Way to Teach Young Children About Segregation.
Michigan Association of Computer Users in Learning (March 2014). Talk to Me! Engaging K-12 Students in Online Communications.
29th Annual Conference on Distance Teaching and Learning (August 2013). Engaging Learners in Online Communications.
4T Virtual Conference Teachers Training Teachers about Technology (May 2013). Edmodo: Safe & Secure Social Media for K-12 Students.
Michigan Association of Computer Users in Learning (March 2013). Edmodo Anytime: Anyplace Collaborative Learning with Social Media. (2 hr hands-on workshop).
- LTEC 330 - Instructional Applications of Media & Technology
- LTEC 602 - Technology & Student-Centered Learning
- LTEC 603 – Facilitating Teaching in Technology Enhanced Learning Environments
- LTEC 653 – Issues and Emerging Educational Technologies
- LTEC 695 - Seminar
- EDST 800 - Introduction to Educational Studies: Scholarship, Teaching and Learning
- LTEC 513 - Blended Learning
My research focuses on technology integration to support teaching and learning for P-16 learners. Additionally, I am interested in researching how parent involvement with students as they use technology influences students' academic achievement. Current research projects are the integration of GIS to teach US History and Geography (grant funded) and access and use of technology by college students (university funded).
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education - Innovation & Technology Committee, 2017 - Present
- Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) Board of Examiner, 2003 - 2015
- International Society for Technology in Education, member and former Board of Director member, 2000 - Present
- Michigan Association for Computer Users in Learning, 2000 - Present
- Tomorrow's Teachers Speak Up Advisory Council, 2016
Licensures and Certifications
- Secondary Business Education Teacher Certification (State of Michigan & State of Nevada)
- Vocational Certification
- Competency-Based Education Certification
- Panel Moderator - The Honors College - Black Honors Student Organization panel on 'Our Untold Stories', March 4, 2016, March 2017
- Most Valuable Professor - On February 3, 2016, Dr. Jones was honored as women's basketball player KaBria Walker's most valuable professor. Dr. Jones has been KaBria's mentor since fall 2014.