- Ph.D., University of California, Santa Barbara
Interests and Expertise
I teach courses on literacy and instructional methods for secondary school teachers and research methods for writing researchers. Currently, I am interim dean for the College of Education.
- Introduction to English studies
- Issues of teaching writing
- Literacy and written instruction
- Research in theory and practice in writing
- Topics in assessing writing
- Teaching English in the Secondary Schools
- Writing for Secondary Teachers
Publications and Presentations
- Green, J.L., Baker, W.D., Chian, M., et al. (2020). Studying the over time construction of knowledge in educational settings: A microethnographic-discourse analysis approach. Review of Research in Education v. 44: 161-194. DOI: 10.3102/0091732X20903121. Washington DC: AERA.
- Green, J.L., Brock, C., Baker, W.D., & Harris, P. (2020). Positioning theory as an analytic lens and explanatory theory. In N.S. Nasir, C.D. Lee, R. Pea, & M.M. de Royston (Eds.) Handbook on cultural foundations of learning (pp. 119-140). NY: Routledge. https://doi.org/10.3102/0091732X20903121.
- Baker, W.D. (2020). Transforming classroom discourse as a resource for learning: Adapting interactional ethnography for teaching and learning. In E. Manalo (Ed.) Deeper learning, dialogic learning, and critical thinking: Research-based strategies for the classroom (pp. 105-119). NY: Routledge.
- Green, J.L., and Baker, W.D. (Eds.). (2017). Interdisciplinary and intercultural programmes in higher education: Exploring challenges in designing and teaching. UK: Routledge.
- Baker, W.D., and Däumer, E. (2015). Understanding understanding: Implications of interdisciplinary articulation for instruction and assessment. Language Arts Journal of Michigan, 31(1), 28-38.
- Baker, W.D., and Green, J. (2015). Transdisciplinary dialogues through interactional ethnographic studies: A commentary on Skinner. Mind, Culture, and Activity: An International Journal, 22(4), 364-370. DOI: 10.1080/10749039.2015.1084327.
- Dark, T. and Baker, W.D. (2015). Entering the Conversations, practices and challenges of multimodality texts. Teaching/Writing: The Journal of Writing Teacher Education v. 4(1), 65-93.
- Baker, W.D., and Däumer, E. (2015). Designing interdisciplinary instruction: Exploring disciplinary and conceptual differences as a resource." Pedagogies: An International Journal v. 10(1), 38-53. DOI: 10.1080/1554480X.2014.999776.
- Baker, W.D., and Green, J.L. (2015). Exploring challenges in designing and teaching (inter)disciplinary and (inter)cultural programmes in higher education. Pedagogies: An International Journal v. 10(1), 1-4 (editorial for special issue). DOI: 10.1080/1554480X.2014.999776.
- Green, J. L., Skukauskaite, A., and Baker, W.D. (2012). Ethnography as epistemology: An introduction to educational ethnography. In J. Arthur, M. Waring, R. Coe, & L. V. Hedges (Eds.) Research Methodologies and Methods in Education (309-321). London: SAGE.