Updates from the Office of Urban, Community, and International Outreach
Submitted by Regina George | Published October 21, 2014
The Office of Urban, Community, and International Outreach (OUCIO) has had a busy summer and fall coordinating and participating in several initiatives:
- Coordinated the College Readiness Camp on July 14-18 where a dozen students from Jalen Rose Leadership Academy, located in Detroit attended and lived in dorms on campus and participated in various activities supported by Extended Programs. During the camp, connections were made for EMU's Mentorship Access Guidance in College (MAGIC) program with Washtenaw County resources for foster care students.
- Hosted the Washtenaw County School to Justice Committee Meeting on August 18. Attendees were representatives from the County courts, sheriff, school districts, and ISD and the meeting's focus was to gather accurate and consistent data on K-12 student attendance and develop appropriate response mechanisms.
- Road to Completion Scholarships were awarded to 14 undergraduates for the fall semester in the amount of $2,500 and a luncheon was held on October 15 with donors. The number of awards was increased from 10 to 14 scholarships after a successful first year in 2013-14.
- The Robert Noyce Developing Urban Education Teachers (DUETS) in STEM will wrap-up this year and all participants have graduated and are still teaching. Deborah Harmon attended the National Conference in June with three students, and also attended the Midwestern Conference in early September. The DUETS banquet was held the first week of October celebrating student success. The program is a collaboration between College of Arts and Science and the College of Education.
- Gear Up students from the EMU program in Detroit will attend the Young Educators Society Conference on October 30 in Ann Arbor. Some EMU MARS students will also participate. MARS (Minority Achievement Retention and Success) monthly meetings will resume this fall.
- OUCIO staff participated in FUSION (First year orientation) and Move-In Day.
The Office of Urban, Community, and International Outreach (OUCIO) is located in 104 Porter. For more information, contact Regina George at email@example.com.