Resolve Financial Obligations
- All bills, including library charges, parking fines and health service accounts, must be paid by the close of the current session. If you hold certain student loans, you must arrange for an exit interview with the Student Loan Office, 203 Pierce Hall, 734.487.3335.
- If you need credit transferred to Eastern from another institution to fulfill graduation requirements, you must be certain you transcript will reach the Office of Records and Registration by the close of the current session.
Apply for Graduation
To graduate with a degree or certificate, you must submit a formal application for graduation online via the my.emich student services tab during the semester you'll complete all requirements. Find out more on the Records and Registration site.
Purchase your cap, gown and tassel at the EMU Campus Bookstore in the Student Center. There are 12 sizes of gowns for you to try on in the store. Caps are not sold separately from gowns, but tassels are.
Undergraduate students graduating with honors (3.5 or above cumulative GPA), can pick up a gold tassel during the Graduation Fair (Dates TBA) at Service EMU in the Student Center or at the Registrar's Office in 304 Pierce Hall from December 4–13. Please bring valid photo ID.
Graduating military veterans may pick up an honor cord at the Veteran Services Office in room 202 in Pierce Hall. Bring a copy of your DD 214 if you're not currently using GI Bill benefits or haven't used them in the past few years.
Academic hood colors are assigned according to the college (not department) from which you are graduating:
- White: College of Arts and Sciences
- Drab: College of Business
- Light Blue: College of Education
- Citron: College of Health and Human Services
- Gold: College of Technology
- Purple: All Specialists
- Green: All Doctoral
Beginning November 15, distance bachelor's and master's students may purchase regalia through the EMU Bookstore by calling 734.483.2850. Please have your height, weight and College, as well as a method of payment ready when placing your order. Shipping options include ground ($7.50), two-day ($13.50) or overnight ($18). Beginning December 4, only two-day and overnight shipping will be offered to ensure delivery before the ceremony. Please note: the Bookstore highly recommends students come in to the store to try on and purchase regalia in person if at all possible, because regalia is non-returnable once opened.
You have two options for regalia: buy or rent (the website link and deadline will be communicated via email to all doctoral students who are eligible to participate). After the cut-off date for ordering, you'll need to contact the EMU Campus Bookstore directly to determine if an order for an expedited rental gown is possible (these orders are subject to an additional $45 shipping fee).
If you decide to rent, you can return regalia to the faculty robing room immediately after the ceremony (only doctoral students returning regalia may return to the atrium) or within 48 hours to the EMU Campus Bookstore in the Student Center.
Contact the EMU Campus Bookstore at 734.483.2850.